Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

TIGER STRIPES ON WILDCAT CREEK- Part 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

TIGER STRIPES ON WILDCAT CREEK- Part 2

After wandering around the megalopolis of Fort Shaw lost for a little while I finally arrived at APS. I was kind of like going into Baskin Robbins and having them ask what kind of ice cream do you want. There were guns everywhere of every shape and all kinds of metal workinging machines. Most of my attention was fixed upon a certain long barrel gun in a black A-5 with green and orange tiger stripes. Kirby asked me if I had ever seen a 7AM case and a wildcat bullet and when he showed them to me all I could do is laugh. It was kind of like pulling up the hood on a vette and seeing a 454 with a big carb. You just know you are going to be having a fun time with that.

Because I was going to be out scouting and hunting for two months Kirby had run a field test to check to see how much elevation I had on the scope and assured me that the gun was set up for 100 to very nearly 1800 yds. Then Kirby took all of my brass and ran it through a series of neck collets to get it down to 284 diameter. This eased up me having to be necking down brass out in the sage brush.

Drove over Bannock Pass into Idaho and decided it was time to call it a day so I took the first Forest Service road I came to and drove down it to Wildcat Creek and pitched my tent. I thought it was appropriate to start to work on the 7AM on Wildcat Creek. I did some of my cornmeal fire forming of brass there.

Here are the specifications of the gun

Lilja 34 in , 9 twist four groove barrel fluted (some contour that I do not remember, it was what ever Kirby recommended) - allows one setback if ever needed and as we have seen delivers a dump truck load of velocity - 3340fps w/ 200gr Wildcat

Nesika Model M single shot action with Nesika 20 MOA rail(courtesy of Ballistic 64 of this forum)

Night force Scope 8 X32 X 56mm NPR2 reticle

Somebodyís rings with more bolts and screws than I have ever seen in my life. The cross bolt has a nut that is bigger than the lugs on my tires

Jewel trigger set a 2.3 # ( when I fall down one of these steep Idaho mountains I donít want the gun to go off)

Shawn Carlock Brake - For some reason I got a four slot brake

A5 Stock w/ adjustable cheek piece and butt plate, 4 flush cups and a bipod stud

I donít have a clue as to the trigger guard except that is black crinkle and really nice and fits with the finish of the stock.

And 500 wildcat 200 gr RBBT bullets

I would say that my general instructions to Kirby was that I wanted a gun capable of delivering a lethal strike on an elk at a range of up to 1500yds. While my present level of ability might not be up to the gun, I once was that good and with practice may yet regain those skills. Kirby was a pleasure to work with and as the gun unfolded was always on top of the issues and there was never any time when we disagreed on strategy. Many people have horror stories about Mac A5 stocks being late but Kirby insured that mine was done when it needed to be. Kirby said he would try to have my gun done by the first of October and he had it ready by early September.

Here is my camp on Wildcat Creek

The elk gun
Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: TIGER STRIPES ON WILDCAT CREEK- Part 2

BB, WOW!!! that is one BEAUTIFUL looking rifle. The color of the stock looks awesome. Kirby is building my 338 Allen Mag. I am using an A-5 stock with close to the same specs as yours, except I am going with the Woodland Camo Pattern. Once again, good looking rig.

Wildcat
Old 09-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

There you are with a laptop and no closer pix of the 7AM than that ?

Hang on we're coming !! Cell phone on 24/7 starting Wed. 27 SEPT.

Jim B.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:49 PM
SPONSOR

Very nice.....Kirby is also building me a rifle very similar to that, only mine will be using a HS detach mag. We need closeups.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

Here is a better picture. The orange tends to change to red and the green kind of fades away in the computer.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

BB,

Any fish in that there little creek??? I love creek fishing!!

When does the scouting end and the hunting start?

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

BB, you're makin me jealous with more than one item!