Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Thumb Positioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Thumb Positioning

Hope my explanation here makes sense. I was chatting with a friend at work today and he told me that someone he was talking to had told him that your thumb on the hand you shoot with should be positioned on the side of the stock just above your trigger finger and not across the back of the grip area.

When I think about it, it seems kind of weird to not have that grip on the stock. But when I think about it, it could help to reduce the chance of jerking the stock when pulling the trigger.

Hopefully my description makes some sense. Appreciate any comments anyone has.

Tks.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Thumb Positioning

your discreption make perfect sense , I'm not sure that i agree with the statement that you don't want your thumb around the back of the grip. I realy don't see where it would matter where your thumb goes so long as your not pressuring the stock in any position. Some guns like to be choked to shoot well and other like to be free reoiled alot of this depends on the amount of recoil and torque the round produces also the shape of the stock and how it rides the bags.
I tried shooting my pet 308 that has a McMillan A-5 stock several differant ways including with the thumb on the same side as the index finger and as lonmg as I diden't stress the gun in any way it shot the same , typicaly my thumb rides strait up the back of the action inline with the bolt but behind it , this is a neutral position and most comfortable for me and now that i have a wide trigger shoe
(thanks Dave) I'm actualy in a little more comfortable position.

So inshort I guess I'd try and see what works best for you, but as a side note if your shooting a heavy recoiling gun pay close attention to your scope relation to your skull
Old 06-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Gold Member

Its the same theory as the "thumbs up" position taught in modern pistol technique. It helps to break the habit of pinching things between thumb and forefinger that youve been doing since childhood. Most combat shotgun schools also teach this position to keep you from breaking your own nose with a couple of the popular "kick in the door" shotguns. A few BR shooters also prefer this position since it allows them to get to the bolt faster for follow up shots before the condition changes. I seem to be able to shoot a rifle from the bench most consistantly with my thumb straight down the spine of the grip, but as has already been mentioned, some rifles require more support while tripping the trigger. Its not an unheard of tehcnique is what im trying to say. Try it and see if you like it!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

More Info please

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards