Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Teen hunter shoots black bear/hiker woman in Oregon..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Teen hunter shoots black bear/hiker woman in Oregon..

Shortshooter,

I agree that YOU know all those things, I doubt this kid did.

He screwed up, plain and simple.

Nevertheless, it was an accidental shooting from all reports, with no intent to harm a person.

Many years ago, a well known coach in Washington State shot at an elk or deer across the canyon. He could clearly see the head and body and it was a shot of less than 200 yards. What he didn't know was that his son had already shot the animal, and was standing behind it shielded by the overgrowth. The shot was high, and killed his son. Is he also guilty of a crime? IF so, what crime?

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 08-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

In my local area I know of three people who were shot and lived. They were mistaken for two were taking a walk and mistaken for bears? The other man was standing by his car on a rural county road and susposedly mistaken for an elk.

Sometimes a person may take a fall when taking a shot or some other abnormal accident may occur, and they can. But the identity thing is difficult to defend actions of the shooter.

I don't hope this yong fella any harm, but it's difficult to say if he realises the seriousness of his actions. I wonder if he realises that the woman he shot doesn't get a second chance.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Gold Member

This is indeed a very sad incident. Hunter Safety drills the students to be sure of your target and whats beyond. If this rule would have been followed, this shooting wouldn't have happened. As a state certified Hunter Safety Instructor here in MI, I can't help but blame the system for allowing a young kid to hunt without any supervision.
I have to agree that this kid needs his day in court and the laws in WA need to be changed.
My thoughts and prayers go to the hikers family.

JD338
Old 08-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Silver Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to both families!

I hope that we can all take the same sense of forgiveness and humility that the Amish did after their schoolhouse shooting.

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Bronze Member

I know I'm late on this discussion. Here in Kentucky, Hunter's Education is required for anyone born after Jan 1, 1975? Not for certain on the year.

Also if the hunter is 16 years of age or younger he must be accompanied by an adult. That adult AT ALL TIMES must be within reaching distance of the weapon, in order to prevent such accidents from happening.
There have been many people ticketed and/or worse for not abiding by this simple rule.
At the time I thought it was a little overboard, being that I was a teenager and knew everything. I look back now, especially after reading this article and I digress. Can't say for certain how many lives this one rule has saved, but if it has saved any at all. It is well worth following.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

If hunting on public property, you had better move in at night and have your game spotted and take your shot at first light. After shooting your deer or whatever, wrap it in an orange piece of cloth so that somebody doesn't shoot it again as you are hauling it out. Any dogs you have with you had better be wearing orange as well.

For the past several years, I have only hunted during big game hunting season on private property. When I lived in northern Minnesota, hunters used to come up from the twin cities. One of them admitted to taking a "brush shot" one day. What is a brush shot, he was asked? "That's when the brush moves and you shoot into the brush", was his reply. Small wonder why some people get killed during hunting season.

Most people getting killed are in a wooded area, not open country. In brushy areas, people are always taking shots at game and missing, and somebody beyond their range of vision takes a hit. Shooting AT animals is not justified. You MUST have at least a 99.99% chance of hitting your target with certainty in a brushy area before you pull the trigger.

Funny, you NEVER hear of poachers getting shot accidently, as they never hunt around amateurs during open season.