Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Teen hunter shoots black bear/hiker woman in Oregon..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Teen hunter shoots black bear/hiker woman in Oregon..

Doing some reading about hammocks for backpacking and saw a thread were a teen hunter shot and killed a 55yr old lady who was out backpacking.
She was doing something with her backpack kneeling on the trail -and the young hunter accidently shot and killed her.
No charges were filed as of the following day.

Very sad !!!!

Drilling the importance of KNOWING what you are about to shoot as well as what's behind the target can't be stressed enough to young hunters -all hunters for that matter.
A lady lost her life and a kid has to live his life w/ that in the back of his mind for the rest of his life.Sad..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everybody should wear hunter orange -there's just too many people out enjoying the outdoors to be without it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by ol mike; 08-07-2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Wear hunter orange.........
Old 08-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

I believe the story you are talking about happened in Washington on Sauk Mountain on opening weekend of bear season. The 14 year old was hunting with his 16 year old brother and no adult. The lady was wearing a bright blue poncho and had bent over to get something out of her pack. Very sad! I certainly hope this is the same story...I hope this didn't happen twice on opening weekend.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Gold Member

Very sad for everyone involved when you hear these stories. Hunter education is very important.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

It was washington state -not oregon.

I didn't get a lot of details -bright blue poncho -wow- even worse..
Old 08-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Accident my a**. Has anyone ever seen a blue bear??? What was he on, mushrooms, LSD??? This kinda crap gives us all a bad image. I think some sort of action needs to be taken against him, teen or not, he killed an innocent lady for crying out loud. Sad to say, but this kinda crap happends at least once a year in Washington/Oregon. Seems like people in general, (not just teens) dont take the time to actually acquire the target and see what it is before engaging it. I dont wear hunter orange, just never been brought up around it as there is no law in Oregon for it. However, these days, with more and more idiots out there, I"m seriously considering at least wearing an orange hat. But what good would that have done if your bent over? Wouldn't even be able to see it. Sad....
Old 08-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

'06, I'm with you on this one. This is very sad and I sure wouldn't call it an accident. If he wasn't hunting I wonder what kind of charges would have been filed?
Old 08-09-2008, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

Have to agree with others that this wasn't an accident. If it was aimed fire there was INTENT. This is total bullshit and the state needs to file procedings against this young fella as this is nothing but plain murder.

Humans don't look like bears and livestock doesn't look like elk.

This young fella has committed a crime and he's endangered the rights of gunowners and the hunting privilges of others.

A case of total irresponisblity and he should be charged with murder being that he chose to shoot and didn't identify what his target was before shooting. What a jerk.