Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Swaro rangefinder warrenty/repair ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Swaro rangefinder warrenty/repair ???

I'm leaning toward buying a used Swaro I know some like them alot and some don't. That is what has led to my question . So If I buy a used swaro and it gives me problems can I send it off for any warrenty work , even though i'm not the original owner ?

Thanks for your insite.
Bigbuck
Old 08-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Swaro rangefinder warrenty/repair ???

There's likely the official Swarovski answer, and then the reply you might receive in real life. I don't think anyone on this Forum will be able to know for sure, unless they also work for Swarovski Warranty repair also.

If the unit was originally purchased from an authorized Swaro dealer, and is within its warranty period, I would think Swaro will receive and repair under warranty. If the unit wasn't originally purchased from an authorized Swaro dealer, then it could be what's referred to as a "gray" unit that was marketed outside of Swaro's authorized distributorships, and Swaro may choose not to warranty the item.

If it's outside the warranty period (generally two years or less for the laser portion of the unit) they may not service it under warranty.

Or they could ignore all these details and warranty it anyhow, just to try to establish themselves as a trustworthy company that stands behind their products.

Check with 'Broz'. He's sent in LRF units at least three - maybe four times - for warranty work. He reported good experiences with the Swaro warranty/repaire people, but I don't know how old his LRFs were (inside or outside warranty period), if they were purchased used or new - from an authorized Swaro dealer or not, how old they were, etc...

My Swaro LRF is now outside the warranty period for the laser unit. I've had no issues, so my knowledge of Swaro's warranty repair comes not from the LRF, but from a 'gray market' set of 8x30 SLC binoculars I bought at a discounted price years ago, and after-the-fact of purchase communications I had with Swaro's warranty department staff. BTW, never had to have warranty work done on these binoculars either. I was just calling to check after my purchase, as an afterthought. Should have checked it out ahead of time as you're attempting to do right now, but I didn't think about these details until after the fact - binoculars in my hands.

I'm really happy with the glass in both my binoculars and the Swaro LRF. I also own a set of the Swaro Pocket-sized 8x20mm binos. Those are the ones I find myself using most frequently. So compact and light, yet outstanding clarity in the field.

Good luck to ya,
Old 08-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
There's likely the official Swarovski answer, and then the reply you might receive in real life. I don't think anyone on this Forum will be able to know for sure, unless they also work for Swarovski Warranty repair also.

If the unit was originally purchased from an authorized Swaro dealer, and is within its warranty period, I would think Swaro will receive and repair under warranty. If the unit wasn't originally purchased from an authorized Swaro dealer, then it could be what's referred to as a "gray" unit that was marketed outside of Swaro's authorized distributorships, and Swaro may choose not to warranty the item.

If it's outside the warranty period (generally two years or less for the laser portion of the unit) they may not service it under warranty.

Or they could ignore all these details and warranty it anyhow, just to try to establish themselves as a trustworthy company that stands behind their products.

Check with 'Broz'. He's sent in LRF units at least three - maybe four times - for warranty work. He reported good experiences with the Swaro warranty/repaire people, but I don't know how old his LRFs were (inside or outside warranty period), if they were purchased used or new - from an authorized Swaro dealer or not, how old they were, etc...

My Swaro LRF is now outside the warranty period for the laser unit. I've had no issues, so my knowledge of Swaro's warranty repair comes not from the LRF, but from a 'gray market' set of 8x30 SLC binoculars I bought at a discounted price years ago, and after-the-fact of purchase communications I had with Swaro's warranty department staff. BTW, never had to have warranty work done on these binoculars either. I was just calling to check after my purchase, as an afterthought. Should have checked it out ahead of time as you're attempting to do right now, but I didn't think about these details until after the fact - binoculars in my hands.

I'm really happy with the glass in both my binoculars and the Swaro LRF. I also own a set of the Swaro Pocket-sized 8x20mm binos. Those are the ones I find myself using most frequently. So compact and light, yet outstanding clarity in the field.

Good luck to ya,

Thank you very much phorwath for the reply . I 'm really torn between the leica 1600 and the swaro . I've always had my heart set on a swaro until the 1600 recently came out.

bigBuck
Old 08-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

I have sent my 10x50 and 10x42 Swaro binos in for work before. I have never had a problem with getting warranty work done, and I am not the original for either. I haven't had to send my used Swaro rangefinder or spotting scope in "yet" for work, but I don't foresee any issues with them either.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHardWay View Post
I have sent my 10x50 and 10x42 Swaro binos in for work before. I have never had a problem with getting warranty work done, and I am not the original for either. I haven't had to send my used Swaro rangefinder or spotting scope in "yet" for work, but I don't foresee any issues with them either.
Thanks

BigBuck
Old 08-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

Understand that the warranty on binoculars lasts a long long time. The laser & electronic portion of the Swaro LRF is probably limited to 2 years, consistent with most other LRF manufacturers.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Silver Member

The rangefinder is repaired outside the USA. If you have a warranty or repair claim you send in your LRF unit , and they send you a loner to use while yours is being repaired...