Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Surpised

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: Surpised

Hate to admit it but I've been pondering the same thing.

I think its the nature of web boards, At first its a tight nit group of people doing some extraordinary things. Followed by many people finding interest in the subject, then it grows to the point where ever other question is 2 degrees off of the same.

When membership hits the number that lrh is hitting there is bound to be some bad advice floating around. There still is good information, you just have to wade through a bit of useless stuff.

I started reading when I was laid up in dec 2005, a google search came up with some of Kirbys work. At that time the membership if memory serves me correctly was like 2800 or less, there were only a couple sections and I think over the course of my stay indoors I read the entire history of the board. Didnt feel it would be worthwile to join until I had a rudimetary knowledge of what has been done. Think it took a year to read all I could digest, and then I finally joined. I think around that time Kirby was releasing a whizzbang cartridge and rifle every week. And if he wasnt Dave vierse was (it was great fun to read), maybe the past always looks better or I'm just biased.

There is still a wealth of information here, I think there always will be some changeover and the addition of some great new members and some not so great ones. I only read LRH, used to red rimfirecentral but gave that up 4 years ago. Was starting to really wane on LRH until I tried to research the 338 norma on snipers hide..... I think LRH is still a good board, ill do my best to provide facts backed behind burnt gunpowder experience.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Well shut my mouth!!

I'm in on the recommendations.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Gold Member

Kirby,
Great post! Thank you for bringing the subject up, I think maybe your "rant" should be a "sticky"

I too have noticed a lot of bad or often just "ignorant" advice showing up on the board. It seems like there is also a lot of "this one is better than that one" out there. A 340 WBY shoots faster than a 338 win mag......... but that does not make the 340 "better", just faster. That kind of stuff is one thing I don't like..... just give the performance capabilities of each and let the user decide which better fits his needs, that is the one that is "better". That general example can be applied to everything..... scopes, mounts, barrels etc. Just give the facts..... based on what you "know" from real experience!

I'm gonna pick on you a little now though! We know you are busy (hurry up on my 338AM!) but this site misses you when you are not around. You, Shawn Carlock, Goodgrouper, Buffalobob, eddybo and other of the "old timers" have either gone away or quit posting much. Kirby, when you or some of the other guys weigh in on a subject the "bickering" stops because of your known knowledge and expertise. So, I hope you will show up on the site more often......... but keep busy on my rifle!!!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Great Post Kirby. This REALLY needed to be addressed but I knew I wasn't the one to do it as I haven't been here too long.

Nice to see you back. I always enjoy your posts!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

I've noticed the same thing Kirby. I've gotten where I just skim through the New Posts and move on.

I miss the old days and all the solid folks who consistently gave great info.

We need one more epic battle between Ric Horst and Good Grouper.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby, You hit the nail on the head. I am a builder facing a slow winter, so I have been on here, way more than my fair share. And as I was following a thread I saw you pop up. With much insight and info as usual.After reading a few replies I felt like I should PM you and say thanks for so many informative and detailed posts. Then I stumbled on this, I dont have the experience of some on here, but try to help out in a productive manner. The weather is starting to break and I EVEN went fishing today. Shoot straight and thanks again. SP
Old 03-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Well shut my mouth!!

I'm in on the recommendations.
There are several posters I respect enough that if they told me the moon was made of cheese I would get a spaceship and crackers, you are one of those guys. Of course I would do my own testing to see what kind of cheese it was before the trip Limburger yuck.

BTW thanks for teaching me how to light the reticle in my NXS scopes