Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Suppressors????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 09:21 AM

Re: Suppressors????

First make sure they are legal to hunt with in your area!! Second...they act as a muzzle brake and reduce recoil along with the blast from the gun...hunting with most subsonic suck due to low velocity (under 1100 fps depending on conditions), but yes very quite..with normal loads u can still shoot most normal calibers without hearing protection because it removes the gun blast but not the super sonic crack,,, which occurs down range away from you... and in most cases, suppressors will increase velocity....last if u buy a name brand suppressor u wont b disappointed...most all have figured out how to make them quite, now trying to make it small and light...smaller and lighter cost more......oh as far as making one,,I think u need a manufacturing license?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Well it is all over but the waiting now. To what I have been reading and visiting with the ATF, you can build your own without a manufactures license. As long as it is for yourself. And yes I did check into being able to hunt with them they are legal in quite a few states.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 02-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

You can build them on a form 1, but have to wait on your tax stamp.

I do not have my tax stamp in hand but do have the gun parts, so the supressor will have to wait put I will probably get around to screwing the .50 whisper together.

I have shot a few does and some pigs shooting sub sonic 208 a maxs and some 220gr SPs. The 208s tumble through the deer, the 220s are supposed to expand but I have never recovered one of the 220s. I have not had a deer run more than a few yards. Most have just stood for a few minutes and fallen over.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

I have the 308 Phantom and It works great on a 6.5 x47 lapua , kicks like a 22mag and just alittle louder I shot a doe at 430 yards and my 11 yr old daughter shot her first doe at 320 yds with it too. I also shot a coyote at night and there was absolutely no flash i saw him hit the ground . it was cool ! My next suppressor will be titanium for less weight . I have also put this on a 22-250 , lr-308 dpms ( much lounder than bolt gun ) , and the 6.5 is my favorite so far.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

I shoot a Thunderbeast on my 308 and it works very very well. I have a surefire on order for my 223.

Goggle Thunderbeast and see all the info they have on suppressors. I really like the Thunderbeast, as these guys hit alot of long range matches they compete in and win. Give them a look. THUNDER BEAST ARMS CORPORATION (TBAC) I think that's all they do is make suppressors. For longrange rifles, they're hard to beat.