Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Suppressors????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Suppressors????

I have been looking at a suppressor for my hunting rifle. One thing that I can't get past is the effectiveness(no experience just what I have read) of them. Can someone with experience shed some light on the subject for me.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Suppressors????

Shooting sub sonics rounds supressors are pretty darn nice, no hearing protection needed, although I still wear it. Effectiveness with subs is about like uncoupling an air hose quick disconnect. I do not like shooting supersonic through my supressor, supersonic kinda defeats the purpose IMO. Unfortunately sometimes I have one jump supersonic with my current load.

You might not want to get one. I have been known to burn up 300-400 208 a-maxs in an afternoon just shooting plinking. I have had to slow down shooting 300 whisper and have been shooting more supressed rimfire to keep the costs down for the harder to find 208s. With the rimfire shooting the heavy 60gr subs in my 10-22 you hear more bolt slap than anything else.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

That is alot of amaxs. I hate to ask but what suppressor? I have been looking at Yankee Hill phantom. Mainly because the class III dealer has one in stock.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 02-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

I do not anything about what is a good quality supressor cause I bought mine by the same method. Shooter's Discount, not sure if they are still a sponser here or not had both of my supressors in stock and they are located within 20 mins. I could not tell you a brand name without going out to the shop. I can tell ya I love the darn things, so do my neighbors.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

If you have the machine tools or know someone that can "help" you build one for about $100 in materials you can get one built. It might not be the lightest or work for full auto but for a bolt gun you will be $800 ahead of the game. Same $200 tax stamp gets you either.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

I went out to do some other stuff. Mine are both made by Liberty. One is a sparrowhawn and one a black raven IIRC.....which I should since I just walked out there.......but then again when I got there I could not remember why I went out.

I am going to be building my next supressor for a .50 whisper......I should have had that done, I got all the gun parts and reamer.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Eddybo, that happens to me alot. I will check out the Liberty line.

As far as having one built, I do know someone who will be able to in maybe a year. Trouble is I don't want to wait that long. The rifle I am having built specifically for it should be done about the time the paper work would be done.

Brent