Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

stuff needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

stuff needed

Okay, I got the rifle, the optics and I can reload, got a chrony, and the rangefinder. What else should I get? I think I am going to get either an exball or nightforce program but dont know what I need for the mini computer thing to run it. This would be the only thing ran on it. Also plan on geting a cosine indicator. Also what kind of wind meter, weather thing should I get? anything else? Thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 11:58 PM
SPONSOR

Re: stuff needed

Kestral wind meters are great, cosine.... not unless you are shooting alot of uphill, downhill stuff.... I hunt Out of Cody Wy and have never needed one yet and it is rugged country.

The Perry program has lots of retilce choices, the NF has like 3 or 4 of theirs and that is it. Although you can basically load your own. do you have a palm or PC ?

do you have a good set of bipods or tripods ? Good range rests ? bore guide and all the good cleaning goodies ?

Good luck
Old 03-02-2007, 03:14 AM
Platinum Member

Yah I woudl go with Kestrel as well. I made the mistake of going with a brunton windmeter and it only lasted about a year of very limited use and it just quit working out of the blue. I need to send it back.

An angle cosign would come in very handy for elk hunting in the canyons where its uphill/downhill at long range....
Old 03-02-2007, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

Screech,

I use Exbal on an old M130 Palm Pilot. It works great and they are pretty cheap on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Palm-m130-Palm-Pilot...tem290087761905

Unfortunately, Exbal isn't cheap!

Hope this helps,
Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 03-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member

Thing 1- cosine

In Idaho you definitely need the cosine angle indicator. Go to Ace or Home Depot or your daddy’s tool box and get one for about $6.00 - $7.00.

Thing 2 – wind meter

A basic Kestrel 2000 works as good as anything. I found mine in the broke and mangled clearance bin at REI. It needed a new propeller.

Thing 3- PDAs

A good paper drop chart is real cheap. I had probably 30 different drop charts with me last Fall. If you go up under optics and look at the BDC question you will see that you can function with just a couple of drop charts as long as you know your correction factors for temperature and altitude. While I may get me a PDA and a ballistics, program my motto is “trust nothing with a battery in it” because the maintenance man is real lazy.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Okay I shoot mainly up and down and nothing is really flat out here. so I need cosine it sounds like. Get a Kestrel, what model? exbal, and i will look at the link for a pda. I use a front bipod, harris and will come up with something for a rear bag. anything else. What is a bore guide?
Old 03-02-2007, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
... What is a bore guide?

[/ QUOTE ]

It guides the cleaning rod straight into your barrel, protecting the lead/throat lands. It also will stop cleaning supplies from leaking down into your chamber and action.

Here is a cheapy from stoney point that works OK (its the one I use). There are more expensive ones that exactly center the rod and have O-rings etc.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=158160
Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives