Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Stubby--Lapua

If you look at Beretta USA's website they list the TRG's 338 Lapua at 27 and 1/8 inches. I also was lead to believe that true barrel length was measured from the face of bolt to end of muzzle. THis is how the ez calc load database has you measure to extrapolate how fast a load will go.
I used to re-load but now I "hand-load".
-- Well, at least I try --

Unread 06-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Gold Member

Hi i would think that with a 26" barrel on a 338 win mag you will get a similar velocity as the 24" 338 Lapua i would send it back to the guy and see how you can council the payment it should have been advertised if any modifications like shortening the barrel were completed. I would not want that rifle with those modifications done to it it looses all of its colector value and some of its performance edge and that is what you pay for when buying those rifles.

Cheers Bil
Unread 06-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Gold Member

Finally got ahold of the seller. Done deal, refuses to take it back.
I'm not that upset after reading Kirbys post. If nothing else, still one hell of a bear gun.
Have a scope mounted and sighted. Started some load developement with RL-22 and 225gr ABs. "Stubby" got hot at the onset, so all I did was sight in, could not compare the two Lapuas.
Unread 06-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby, have to disagree with you on the reason for the velocity difference in the 2 cartridges you listed above. the difference in bearing surface will account for some, but the main reason would be the surface area that's being pushed against.the 338 simply is a bigger diameter and therefore the bullet will receive more push than a smaller caliber. this is the reason for most of the velocity gain.
Unread 06-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Not sure I agree with that. It has more to do with baring surface and sectional density more then anything and that can be proven time and again.

For instance, you take two rifles, just to keep things consistant the same 300 WSM and 338 WSM and take a bullet in each caliber that has the same sectional density as the other caliber bullet. In this case lets look at the 165 gr 30 cal with a sectional density of 0.248 and the 200 gr 338 bullet with a sectional density of 0.250.

In the same length barrels and same chamber pressures, the muzzle velocity of each bullet will be nearly identical. Variations in specific bullet and lot of powder will make more difference then anything else as to the velocity difference in these two bullets.

Why is that? in my opinion it has to do with similiar Section densities more then anything else and may be I should have stated that instead of baring surface.

Another example, look at a 7mm Rem Mag compared to a 338 Win Mag. Compare a 175 gr bullet in the 7mm with a SD of 0.310 with a 250 gr 338 bullet with a SD of 0.313.

In most cases the 7mm Rem Mag will get you around 2825 to 2875 fps in a 24" barrel. The 338 Win Mag will get you 2750 to 2800 fps with the 250 gr pill so again, basically identical with same SD bullets.

However if you go with the same weight bullets in each caliber, or similar, the 338 will smoke the 7mm REM Mag in velocity potential. Not saying ballistically it will be superior but as far as velocity potential it will be far superior.

The 7mm will also be much more dependant on barrel length as well.

Another example would be comparing a 22-250 to a 6mm-250 both using 55 gr class bullets. The 22-250 will top out around 3700 to 3800 fps depending on barrel length. The 6mm-250 will push 4000 fps with this bullet weight many times and generally well over 3900 fps.

If you compare same SD bullets in each caliber or at least similiar SD bullets such as the 55 grain bullet in 22 cal and the 70 gr pill in 6mm, the velocity potential will be very similiar.

I think your arguement has more in similiar with my comments then we think to be honest. Your saying the larger bore allows more PSI to be applied to the bullet base. Perhaps to some degree, but it also allows or requires the use of faster burn rate powder because of the higher expansion ratio to maintain that PSI on the bottom of the bullet. As such, that type of powder requires less inches of barrel to reach a certain velocity level simply because bullet accelation is more aggressive with a faster burning powder. This is the reason the larger bore diameters are less dependant on long barrels to reach full velocity potential.

Again, I probably should have talked about SD instead of baring surface because in fact, even though the Baring Surface on the 338 is shorter then the 30 cal bullet, because of its larger circumference it is probably at least as large measured in square inches then the 30 cal.

Sectional density is a much more accurate comparision number.

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page:
Unread 06-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

I was out to the range this weekend breaking in a new barrel in 300 WSM. The barrel is a 23" sporter contour with a muzzle brake. Shooting 180 SMK I was getting 2975 fps.

My son's rifle which is the same caliber but with a 25" fluted varmint contour was getting 3050 fps.

We were both shooting the same load. Nothing different but the barrels.

We were using WXR which is pretty slow burning powder so I believe if I go to a little faster burning powder I might be able to duplicate his velocity.
Unread 06-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

The best powder for a given cartridge is based on case capacity in relationship to bore diameter.Barrel lenght is not a factor worthy of consideration.The specialty hand guns shooting rifle cartridges is a good proof od this.The handguns have short barrels and the same powders as the longer rifle barrels are used for best results........
range it,check the wind, dial in correction, aim and only one shot