Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

stripped allen screw removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: stripped allen screw removal

Get a set of the little different sized Torx bits that fit in a changable screwdriver. Find the bit that it just a wee bit to large. Then tap... I said "tap" it into the stripped allen head. Once you have it in use some heat to soften the locktite and then spin it out.

Jeff
Old 04-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

If the torx bit wont get it I usually go to a metric allen set that is a little larger with some heat.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

I like the slightly oversized bit method, and carefully tap it in to get a nice fit. Probably first use some kind of vise to hold the gun. I really good hair dryer seems to be best for heating it up. I use one on my graphite shafted golf clubs so as not to burn anything. The shaft come right out.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

I used to get about two dozen jobs like this a year at work. Two little tricks I used might help. Measure the allen wrench across the flats to see if there is a metric wrench (or vise versa) that is a few thousandths bigger. Heat the screw head with a soldering iron, and jam the wrench into the female hex. I have had them where I used shim stock as well, but that dosn't work as well. If you have to drill the bolt head off, use a tap drill size for the screw thread. If by chance you have a set of left hand drills and the soldering iron your probably home free. It takes about 230 degrees to melt the loctite, so the iron is plenty good enough. And lastly don't use Loctite 242 on small screws like that; no matter who says it's OK!
gary
Old 04-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Gold Member

Hey guys thanks a lot. I took Win Mag's advice and stopped an thought about it for two days and took it up to a gunsmith who had just bedded it and he got it out for me and didn't charge me. Did not ask him how he got it out but was talking about drilling and retapping.
Now my new Vortek Viper 5X15 HS is mounted and looks good, just waiting on those Matrix 165 VLD's to show up. By the way this is a 270 WSM w/ a 26" Hart Barrel. It does not have a tactical stock just a clean Walnut stock that is pillar bedded.
Thanks again!!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

When you drill it use a LH drill bit and go easy. Often times just the heat of drilling will back a screw out. Often what will happen as you drill with the proper size LH drill bit is you will drill off the screw head and then you can remove the base then just back out the remainder of the screw. Good luck and go slow.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip-co View Post
When you drill it use a LH drill bit and go easy. Often times just the heat of drilling will back a screw out. Often what will happen as you drill with the proper size LH drill bit is you will drill off the screw head and then you can remove the base then just back out the remainder of the screw. Good luck and go slow.
When dilling out a socket head cap screw thru the head use an old drill bit that's been recound many times to where it's a little on the short side. Then take the drill bit to the grinder an increase the relief to a little more than double. It will help the drill bit snag into the metal. Also run the drill at a fairly low speed. 150 rpm is about right. Problem here is that your using pretty small drills, and they'll snap off easy. Probably better off just drill off the bolt head with a tap drill. I had a small pencil torch like the ones electricians use for circut board work. Have a buddy heat the bolt head up while you are drilling it out. Never use a regular torch! I have noticed over the years that the bolt quality used in the ring and base kits has been on a steady down hill slide. Must be sourcing them to China.
gary