Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

stripped allen screw removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

stripped allen screw removal

Really bummed just got my rifle bedded and went to remove the bases to install a 20 MOA base and my new Vortek scope when the last screw stripped. Does anyone know how to remove an allen screw on a base that the wrench slips? Apparently I used too much blue loktite.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: stripped allen screw removal

I used JBweld the last time i did something liike this. Put a little on the wrench and let it set 24hrs. I also used heat to help get it started.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

when yo say heat, do you mean heat gun heat or more?
Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

I used a heat gun to help loosen the locktite. Hopefully some more ideas out there since I am sure I have not stripped my last screw
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Gold Member

I had a set of bases that similarly seemed permanently destined to stay on the rifle for same reason. One of the smiths on here suggested I carefully drill the top off the hold down screws. Do not get too carried away with drill. Once the heads are off, and you remove the base, I used the needle nose vice grip pliers to turn the screws out. Heat gun to soften the locktight may be good just do not over heat the metal.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Another process I used on other metals (not a weapon) is extractor bits. Again I did not try this on the bolt since it was before i found them.

American Tool Six Piece Spiral Screw Extractor and Drill Bit Set | 53700 | American Tool
Old 04-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Hold on now. Before you try anything drastic try this:
1- tighten down your other screws again to put down pressure on the base. This takes SOME pressure off of the one that's stripped.

2- use a soldering gun to heat a specific spot (the screw head for example) instead if a "torch" or soldering flame.

This should work.
IF it doesn't, repeat the steps but ADD the step with j.b. weld on an Allen wrench you intend to use only once.

If these both fail, TAKE IT TO A SMITH who has a drill press, & a way to clamp everything in level. If you try this step with a screw gun your playing Russian roulette, & eventually, when you do take it to your smith, after royally messing it up, he will be very unhappy with the pile of $#!? you lay on the counter to say the least.

These DIY methods are proven to work & save $. BUT to truly save $ stop BEFORE you mess it up. You'll be $ ahead by doing so.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"