Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

stock refinsh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Bronze Member

stock refinsh

i have a stock that i want to refinsh, with a nice high gloss finish any one have some suggestion. and how todo it thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: stock refinsh

I used either a very high grade Lindseed oil, High grade Lindseed oil is further refinded to removed the proteins, which is what causes it to mildew on out door furniture. Or I use Teak oil, Teak oil is Lindseed oil mixed with Polyurethane or other oils. Teak oil offers UV protection where pure Lindseed doesn't, it's also thinner which means it penetrates the wood better. Boyds gunstocks has a cursory video that gives a fair explanation on how to do it. To my way of thinking it's hard to beat the beauty and durability of a good hand rubbed oil finish, and it's easy to touch it up when you have and oopps out in the field. And either has the benefit of making the surface of the wood a good bit harder, as it soak in and then sets up.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe