Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Which Stock Paint.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Gold Member

Which Stock Paint.

Hi All,
i want to paint my HS precision stock, so could anyone steer me towards the right paint to do the job.
I'm after a matt finish that can be applied by brush or sprayed through my airbrush.

Here in the UK we cant get the paints offered by Brownells or the likes and they wont ship any aerosolls or hazardous chemicals outside the USA. I have thought about VHT and other high temp engine paints but cant get the colours i want. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 08-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Which Stock Paint.

i paint stocks with reg car paint.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

See if someone has the Krylon ultra flat paint, I know Cabelas has it in non-spray can form. If you can't find that look for some waterfowl decoy paint - you can run it through your airbrush easily.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:03 AM
Gold Member

You could send it back to HS for a repaint, otherwise.. gunkote will work, so will a few others but tend not to be as tough as the factory paint.
Pete
Old 08-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Silver Member

I haven't painted a rifle, but I used to paint my bow. I like using plain primer spray paint. It isn't as tough as other paint so it could be easily removed. It is cheap unough to apply that you could change the color balance for a particular day's planned terrain. Primer comes in grey, rust (redish brown) and black. These worked for where I was hunting.

If you are looking for greens and tans, try a paintball dealer. Some of them paint their guns too.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:28 PM

we spray all of our stocks with zoletone,great stuff super durable