Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Which State would you chose strictly based upon hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 04:25 PM

Re: Which State would you chose strictly based upon hunting

New Mexico looks like they have some nice Elk. They also have a border issue.

New Mexico Elk Hunts, Mule Deer, Antelope, Oryx, Wild Turkey Hunting
Old 10-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_freeman View Post
thanks for the responses, I am considering a move and want to chose a State where the hunting is the best and affordable. I am considering NM any thoughts on NM?
I dont know much about New mexico. But they do have some amazing genettics. It would be a good choice if you wanted big bucks and big bulls. Alaska would kick butt too for the amazing amount of critters, but the weather is HORRIBLE!!!!! If you dont love rain dont go to Alaska.
Now Ive gotta appologise to all the Idaho residents for voicing how cool your state is. Ill bet everyone from Idaho is cussing me for letting out the secret.....
Sorry.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Lets see, many western states have whitetail, pronghorn, elk, moose, cougar, black bears, sheep, goats, coyotes, and mule deer. And select few have one of my favorites, the little Coues deer. (I've killed a few with a bow, and some made the book).

It is really tough decision but I think if I had to narrow it down to ONLY ONE, it would probably be Montana. No wait, Idaho. No wait, Colorado.

Yea, Colorado, since my 2 favorites are mule deer and whitetail. Got plenty of big bucks of each in CO.

New Mexico, an excellent place, but aren't some living expenses quite high there compared to neighboring states? I remember driving through there in the 90s many times and gas was always sky high there compared to TX and AZ.

I've often said if I move out west it will most certainly be CO, but Idaho is a really really close 2nd.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

After you become a resident the hunting licence and permits are cheap. The cost of living is never cheaper. The actual hunting is very expensive because you spend alot on gas and other equipment to get to the hunting areas without pressure. The weather is just fine, you can always put more clothes on. Places like Arizona are too hot in the summer and you can only take off so many layers of clothes before you get arrested.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by partisan1911 View Post
After you become a resident the hunting licence and permits are cheap. The cost of living is never cheaper. The actual hunting is very expensive because you spend alot on gas and other equipment to get to the hunting areas without pressure. The weather is just fine, you can always put more clothes on. Places like Arizona are too hot in the summer and you can only take off so many layers of clothes before you get arrested.
what State are you talking about?
Old 10-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Normally I dont do polls or respond to the stupid "who here hunts turkeys?" type questions so prevalent on hunt /shoot forums, but I'll give this one a go. Having spent 38 ( 26 hunting) yrs in PA, ten yrs in GA, 2 yrs in NC, and ten yrs here in CO. I would have to pick PA.

NRA Life Member
Old 10-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

I guess I forgot the most important part of the question. Alaska is the best state to hunt. You can't hunt year round but pretty close. The time you are not hunting is actually good because you can catch up on all your maintenance, reloading, and filling the freezer with fish.