Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Springfield Pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 03:38 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Springfield Pistols

Yea I thought about ordering the 45acp but i am afraid that with a stiff loaded 230gr bullet my wife will be terrified to shoot it.

I think I am gonna go with the 40sw

should work fine

thanks
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 03-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

My wife loves shooting her Glock 31C in .357 sig and compensated.
She says the recoil isnt too much. She has shot my G32 and doesnt like it as much, but will still shoot it occasionally.
Recoil difference between the .40 and .357 isnt enough for me to tell, although the perceived recoil from my Para .45ACP is less.
Dont want to make her mad! She can shoot any of them as good as I can.(Rifles too for that matter)
Don't know if that helps, just FYI.
My .02
Old 03-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Lerch , the recoil thing is kinda funny , I got my wife a m23 glock for her personal carry and play and in its standard 40 cal form it has alot more snap than my 45 does , the 45 has a smoother kinda roling push where the higher velocity rounds like the 9mm and 40 cal have a quick snap , I swapped the barrels out on hers for a 357 Sig she likes it alot better and on paper its a better man stopper.

I have a 400 Cor-Bon barrel as well as a 45 Super barrel for my 21. I have the 400 barrel loned out to a budy thats probably gonna buy it , I wasen't to impressed with it , the 45 super on the other hand , holy cow , is about all I can say for that , I reload my own pretty hot , I'm not even gonna post my velocities but it definatly puts it in the mag class. The recoil is very stout and I even wen up 4lbs heaver than reccommended on the spring.

I guess basicaly you have to ask yourself what exactly are you wanting this gun to do ? personaly defense? targets or a charge stopper for the poor mans grizzly and trust me if a 200lb boar ever gets a man on the ground I honestly believe that your chances of survival would be better with a grizz , those pigs just don't stop , I had one work on a dog that he had killed for over an hour before we could get a rifle to kill it
Old 03-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

I realize everyone wants an auto to keep the homestead safe, but I must say your needs seem to beg for a 357 Mag. I know, everyone shuns the wheelguns. A 4" 357 Mag will drop a hog in a second, be more accurate than most semi's and you can load 38's in it to keep the wife happy on the range. If she's ever in a stressful situation and needs to use it she'll never feel the 357's you keep in it. Most gunfights are decided in the first 3 rounds, I'd rather them be 357 mag than just about anything else. I carry my airweight 38 more than anyhting else. My .02

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 03-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I have nothing but good things to say about the XD-40 and the 40 S&W round. Ive had 2 differant 40's but 1 XD and it rocks. Its SUPER accurate meaning at 12 yards it shoots clover leaf groups out of the box! A good stiff 180 HP ought a do the trick.

THANK GOD THEIR PISTOLS ARE BETTER THAN THEIR SCOPES!!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Yea I thought about ordering the 45acp but i am afraid that with a stiff loaded 230gr bullet my wife will be terrified to shoot it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read the whole thread but I read the first post and I read what I quoted here and I would like to chime in.

I have a Springfield .45 compact. The one with the officers length grip and the 4" bbl in stainless. I can attest that my wife likes shooting it with 230 gr Hydrashoks better than she likes shooting her .38 special S&W LadySmith ss. She finds the S&W too snappy and it hurts her wrists to shoot it even using a solid iscocoles or weaver stance. She keeps the .45 by her pillow when camping and I get the .357.

I'll bet that unless your wife is very slight of frame or has wrist problems anyway that if you got a normal weight .40 or .45 and she was instructed on the correct way to control recoil that she would do just fine. Given the propper opperating training and the correct willingness to use it, of course.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

I have 1911's for the house and protection carry but at the ranch where we carry all of the time for feral hogs---the 329 S&W. Made to be carried a lot and shot little!! Without a doubt the easiest gun I have ever carried!! Will put a hurting on Porky for sure if needed! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]