Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Springfield Pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 12:54 PM
SPONSOR

Springfield Pistols

I know this has nothing to do with LRH so sorry ahead of time. After going on the last couple of hog hunts I have decided that I am in need of a sidearm. I have always liked 45 ACP but I want to get soomething that if need be my wife could shoot.

At my families shop we have a Sprinfield Extreme Duty 40S&W that I am thinking about adopting. What do you guys think, will it have enough punch to work against wounded hogs with a good stiff 180gr HP????

Thanks
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 03-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: Springfield Pistols

which extreme duty are you geting? the 40 is gonna have some recoil in a compact/ sub compact sized frame.

i would go with the compensated one or the tactical just to keep muzzle rise to a min.

i have a taurus milenium in 40 and it is a wrist breaker.

d-a
Old 03-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Springfield V-16 Longslide its a 1911 A1 with a 6" ported barrel and slide. This model I believe is discontinued but you can still find them. The V-16 is factory ready, to shoot the 45 Super, 308 win chopped and reamed (I think). Starline brass is readily available.

She's a bit loud but then again so is any pistol. With the weight and the porting it the recoil is less than a standard 40 S&W.

They also made this the V-10(4" I think) and V-12(5")

I do prefer Glock to Sringfield when It comes to utility pistols.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Gold Member

I used to use a Springfield NM customized by Wilson's as my backup, but now I use a Glock 40 exclusively, mainly due to the fact I do not want to go romping in the wilderness with a $2.5k pistol. I have 'finished' off several whitetails with the 45 ACP and 40 S&W. From my personal experience, the 40 is better. I have shot deer with Ranger Talons, Hydra-Shoks and various JHPs with the 45; I have shot three deer with the 40, two with the WW 180 gr JHPs and one with the Golden Sabers. The deer shot with the Golden Sabers was the first time I have had a bullet exit through a deer's skull. It actually blew out brain matter while completely breaking the cranium in a circular fashion through the eye sockets. I only carry Golden Sabers now to say the least.

I have only shot hogs with a 44 mag and 22 WMR. Then again, I only take head shots on hogs. I would not hesitate to use the Golden Sabers on hogs out of a Springfield or any other 40 with a 3.5"+ barrel. Recoil in the Springfield XDs I have fired recoil less than any other brand I have tried.

I vote for the XD with RP GSs!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

If you look at the energy that both the 40 and the 45 create your not talking but few pounds , not enough to make a differance. What is going to make the differance is the bullet desgine.
I carry a Glock 21 which is the 45ACP , I chose this gun not for the caliber but for the grip fit , I got a big paw the the large frame glock fits me better , if the 40 had the same size grip thats what I would carry.
If your looking for a gun thats going to be a charge stopper then your in the wrong class altogether , the 40 and the 45 are both well nkown fight stoppers but shooting s person and a hog are totaly differant situations.
With the propper bullet ie a stout 150-180 class the 40 will do a decient job as opposed to the lighter ones but so will the 45 if the correct bullet is used.
If your going to be walking up to a pig thats laying their and shoot it in the head then a 22lr will work but if your going rooting around for a wounded tusker then your looking for trouble from the start and I personaly would rather have something in the 44mag or at least a hot 10mm.

The XD's are good pistols though , I've shot several and they perform well , I have had my Glock for 10yrs now and have probably 35,000+ ropunds through it and when it come time to deffend my life or protect yours thats whats gonna be in my holster. I have a couple custom 1911's and I like the hell out of them but I woulden't trust my life with one if I had a choice.
Check out the Cor-Bon web site , they offer a solid copper bullet made by Barnes I think and its supposed to be a good deep penitrating round
Old 03-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

JDJones,

You ever consider converting your G21 to 400 Cor-Bon. Mine was stolen a couple years ago. I've have two three die sets, a pile of brass (Starline Brass & formed ACP brass) all of which are primed and most are loaded. I'll give you or anyone for that matter a smokin deal on.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

Springfields got a new 14 rd .45 XD out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]