Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

South of Reno Nevada (Photos)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: South of Reno Nevada (Photos)

Guys, I've eaten rattle snake before, it doesn't taste too bad. I just don't like them eating me... ;)

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

I got those pictures a good 2 months ago, saying that they were from Badger Mountain just south of Richland, Washington. I've never come across that type of nest in Washington, though I remember them from my childhood around Sweetwater, Texas.

Someone eventually found the guy who supposedly took the pictures, and it was somewhere in Utah or Arizona if I remember correctly.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 09-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

Nope he is from sparks nevada!! I am 100% positive. :-)
Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Should I buy chaps ? No shortage of opinions on that topic. Bought car insurance to day.The agent hunts Chuckers he says just about every weekend. Has spent years of time hunting in the desert. He says "Don't wast your money" Others say most snake bites occure on your hand and arms on drunk 20 year olds.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

I moved to Nevada in 1980. There's been 30 years. 10 of those years has been working outside in Roadway Construction, surveying mostly and also
add to that the time spent deer hunting... Snakes have not been a problem.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

Kinda depends on your hearing, I've only herd one of the 6 that have crossed my path but they where all prairie rattlers. Heck I've pocked the little devils to see if they where even rattleing =I could see them rattle but not hearem, the only reason I herd the one was because it was in the crack of a set of cement stepps going into the old schoolhouse we USED to camp in!!
Steped on one in the tall grass a couple of years ago and it was content to get out of my way....till we started shooting at it=Then it got a BAD case of the red-@ss and come over the top of the grass after us.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Should I buy chaps ? No shortage of opinions on that topic. Bought car insurance to day.The agent hunts Chuckers he says just about every weekend. Has spent years of time hunting in the desert. He says "Don't wast your money" Others say most snake bites occure on your hand and arms on drunk 20 year olds.
From this post and the other one further up the forum page Id say your a bit paranoid. I hate snakes! they give me the hee-bee-jee-bees. Yet I grew up in country where they were present. So I learned to deal with them.
I go fishing on many rivers that have some of the worst snake infested river banks in the world imo, and Im akways dressed the same way. I wear river sandles, board shorts, and a fishing vest...............no shirt or any other piece of clothing, no protective chaps, no snake boots, no kevlar. I have had way too many experiences to count where Ive stepped on snakes on the bank, or caused a shale rock slide and had snakes pass between my legs, or been waste deep in the water as a saber toothed buzz worm ''swims'' by. Snakes are not out huntin you. Theyre like most critters that want to avoid you. Some will stand thier ground, but the vast majority will get away as quickly as possible. Ive never been bit by a rattler. I also kill every single rattler I see period if I can get to it in time.
Imo the ONLY place where snake boots/chaps bla-bla-bla would come in handy is where the brush and grass was so thick you couldnt see where you were putting your feet, and even then only in known snake country.
It doesnt matter to me what snake I almost step on they ALL scare the crap out of me. Your addrenilin will spike when youve been thinkin snake all day and nothing happens untill you become complacent. Thats when youll see a snake. and your instantly 10 feet in the air flailing like fred flinstone runnin but not movin. Just train yourself to keep your head and think smart when you come back down to the ground. Gotta controll your fear and turn it into something that will bennifit you. Fear helps breed caution, but I dont buy into the whole paranoia driven snake wear.
Just keep your head on and avoid them or the areas a snake would likely be in the area your in. A big warm rock with a shaded under cut would be a good place to avoid putting your foot. Just walk farther around it.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"