Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Something Funny I Saw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 01:35 AM
SPONSOR

Something Funny I Saw

About 2 weeks ago me and my cousin ryan were hunting in the wichita mountains of OK during the deer rifle season. On our second morning we were hoping for a big buck to show up for me as Ryan had already thumped his first ever buck the morning before. Well we set up on a rock bluff overlooking a large wheat field and wait to see what happened. about a half hour after sunrise 30 or so turkeys made there way into the field and began feeding. not long after this a doe and her year and a half old fawn strolled out to the field and we watched wishing a buck would follow. a while goes by with nothing much happening and then we see the turkeys approaching he doe's. Now i am always a sucker for wildlife on wildlife antics so i was hoping for a show. The turkeys got in the typical school yard line with what looked like all of the other turkeys egging one on to approach the deer in a single file line. The lead turkey approaches the young doe and begins to peck at her. the fawn back steps a little and goes after the turkeys. this repeats its self for a while and me and ryan are gettin a pretty good kick out of it. the fawn is jumping and pawing the dirt and then all of a sudden the lead turkey jumps up and high kicks the fawn straight in the nose!!! I mean a perfect karate kick straight to the kisser!!!! well the fawn whirls around and raises all hell and the turkeys head one way, the doe's another. about 2 hrs later where heading back to main camp, no deer but still a pretty unique sight.

just a funny one i thought i would share, if we were in vegas i would have lost my butt cause i would pick a doe to take a hen turkey anyday!!!!
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 12-01-2007, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

Lerch,

That brings memories to me. As a young boy in Nicaragua, my grandma raised turkeys, chickens, pigs, goats etc. that roamed around the ranch house. My grandpa was a cattleman and a horseman as was also my dad.

One day, I figure I was 7 years old, and my only little brother at the time was 5. He stepped out of the big corridor the ranch house had and went out to play. The male turkey danced around him and kicked the garbage out of my little brother. The more he'd scream and ran the more the turkey would kick him on his but. Slapped him hard with his wings and would not stop kicking him. Some one came out to help my little brother and scare the turkey away when I noticed my dad reaching for his 0.22 Winchester tubular magazine, 18 rounds, that he would always had close by, using the Iron sights from inside the house in the corridor he killed the turkey from one shot. That was a tasty turkey! About a year later in my grandma's kitchen that always had a door opened to the back of the house and dogs, chickens and all kinds of things were going in and out looking for something to eat, a goat came inside the kitchen, I asked my grandma if it was ok to use the short whip to get him out of the kitchen and she said it was ok. After I hit him once I got attacked by that goat and had me pinned against a wall, a bunch of women yelling and screaming trying to get the goat away from me... some of the men showed up and removed the goat that by God's grace had only damaged my cloth. My dad told one of the ranch guys to tie the goat by the corral's gate. The man did. Again the 0.22 Winchester was feeding us cause my dad shot the goat dead. Just good memories. Keep away from them turkeys Lerch!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

lerch,

Good story. That's one of the things that makes time in the outdoors so nifty!

Like Eaglet, it brings back memories.

When I was a little guy, maybe 8 or 9, the neighbors went away and asked if I'd feed their chickens. I was a bit concerned about the big Leghorn rooster. The sucker would flog the heck of ya if you weren't careful.

For protection I carried a short section of sucker rod, they were plentiful in western PA at the time.

About the second or third day, here comes the rooster. I recall just kind of reaching out and touching him on the knoggin with that sucker rod, not wanting to kill their rooster. That fella went out like a light! Geez, I killed their rooster:( Now what am I gonna tell them?

That bird lay on the ground for most of the day then got up as if nothing had happened. From then on I was the only kid in the two families that had no trouble with that stupid rooster.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

A few years ago I was out calling coyotes, I had pulled off the main road and drove down the river bank about a 1/4 mile. As I got close to where I wanted to leave my truck I spotted a flock of turkey's and watched them filter thru the tree's. Finally got out when they were about 100 yard's away, that's when one hen saw me and ran right to the truck. I was standing beside the truck getting my gear when she flew up on top of my truck and started walking around on it.
I just stood there, couldn't believe it. I walked off to my first set with that dang bird tagging along for a 1/2 mile, she didn't leave till I cranked up the Coyote howl's.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Gold Member

Very interesting guys! I never thought hunting Turkeys would be considerd
hunting dangerous game.

JD338
Old 12-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

A couple of springs back during turkey season I was hanging out with a buddy of mine and his neighbor came over and told us about his weekend. He was telling us about the two albino turkeys he and his dad killed and were having mounted. I thought that was really odd. When we asked where he killed them he told us a general location and I started cracking up laughing at this dumba$$. That place is called Turkey Mt. and for good reason. It had a big turkey farm on it till several years ago it was hit by a tornado and demolished the place! He shot some of the loose turkeys and was gonna have them mounted.....the sad part is he didn't want to believe us and I think he got sucker into mounting somebody's would be Thanksgiving dinner!

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:23 PM
SPONSOR

5yrs ago i was turkey hunting at my families ranch when i noticed several turkeys had almost white wings and very gold fan feathers. I ended up shooting a good tom that was one of these turkeys and when i showed him to a game warden i know he said that he thought this turkey was a cross breed of our rio grand species and a domestic white turkey (it would explain why he came to my poor calling!!!) definantly a neat looking bird but it didnt help him taste any better.

Bravo 4, be careful over in the sand box buddy
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST