Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Some times the shooting gods smile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Some times the shooting gods smile

ss7mm,

Very nice shooting. Its these few factory rifles that shoot like this that make our job as custom rifle makers harder [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

While I will not say your new toys will print these types of groups all day long, I will say you will see more groups like this then you will with your factory pipe.

Better yet, you will see results like this at extreme range:

Took this big boy this morning after barely missing a chuch by inches at 1255 yards.

I will tell you you will get well under 1/2 moa at 100 yards but you will be happier with the results at extreme range I assure you.

And if you think its impossible to get a sub 1" three shot group at 1000 yards, I would say it would be EXTREMELY rare but not impossible.

Here is my best 500 yard group to date:

So will any of us shoot a sub 1" group at 1000 yards, more then likely not. Is it possible? Hell, what else would be our goal!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good Shooting. Getting a group in the 0.09"s is very impressive, espeically with a 7mm Wby Mag.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby:

Yeah, I know for a factory tube itís pretty good but itís not a representative group for the rifle. More like .5Ē plus or minus and Iím happy with it. I have no false expectations for this tube. I know what itís capabilities are, and I know what the new rigs will be like. Bring Ďem on. This old piece of junk is gonna be setting in the corner of the safe.

Canít wait to get the 270 back and see what it and itís big brother can do, especially at longer ranges. Itís amazing to run the ballistics of your Allen Mags at longer ranges and see what the drop, velocity, drift and energy levels are at 1000 yards and beyond. Itís gonna be a whole new world from 800-1000 on out.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Good points-- i kinda figured that <.1 MOA @ 1000 would be a once in a lifetimer. I'm not sure what the 10 shot record is, but i thought something around 4" or so?? Gotta admit tho that 500 yarder is something to see. Pretty impressive. U know tho Kirby-- me thinks u're too young to be this good-- how does a youngster get that good??

Will have the XP up and running with the 200's as soon as the relatives leave.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

ss7mm,

To get a group like that out of any rifle, things have to be pretty well pu together and if you say this rifle is a 1/2 moa class rifle, it obviously can shoot well.

Yes, ballistically these loads flat out run hard. The magic here is really the bullet and nothing else. Sure the case is designed as well as a case with this much capacity can be and the throat design is proving exceptionally consistant with these Allen Mags.

It is true that for their individual caliber families they are the tops using any bullet but using conventional commercially available bullets will reduce this to some degree.

Its really the combination of the rifle, cartridge, barrel and bullets that combine to offer ballistics we have just begun to play with in calibers under 338. And as far as trajectory goes and wind drift, even the big 338s don't match up.

The funny thing is I am shooting a load that produces roughly 3265 fps. Very mild as this round has the potential to reach 3400 fps with the 169.5 gr ULD in a 30" pipe.

I started with this load because I was using the rifles before I had Full Length sizing dies and as such I had to load to a level that would allow only neck sizing and still easy chambering.

I just have not ran the pressures back up to top levels because I really don't see a need. The mid 3200 fps range with a .750 BC bullet is mighty impressive.

Wait till you get your +.900 BC bullet clipping along at the same velocity!!!

Honestly, with a quality set up, 800 yards is a relative ship shot if you have done the homework. I will admit it spoils you though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

SS,

Hey now, its not polite to talk about age around here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]!

Luckily I was shooting by the time I could pick up a firearm and I was fortunate enough to have a father and grandfather that enjoyed the outdoor life style. Just grew up in it.

No different then any other of the shooters and hunters on this post.

The rifles, well, thats just from watching the correct way to build a rifle learning how it is done and doing it and being willing to try some new things as well.

Your no different my friend, don't know to many guys that are effective at 1/2 mile with a firearm, let alone a handgun. You can do things I have not gotten into, YET.

I hope someday we can throw some lead side by side!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-20-2005, 03:32 AM
Platinum Member

U are wise well beyond your years my friend. We will shoot LR handguns together someday for sure (if nothing else we need to humble the XP guy-- which might just take a little work, truth is).