Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Some times the shooting gods smile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Some times the shooting gods smile

Ever have one of those days when it seems like your muscles are under full control, your heartbeat can be slowed and controlled as if by magic, your breathing is so smooth itís like youíre not even breathing or moving, your trigger finger seems to apply pressure as if a robot was doing it, and every thing just seems to click?

I got my scope back today from the Leupold custom shop after having new turrets installed. Got everything mounted, leveled etc. and headed for the canyon to try it before I ran out of daylight.

I had done the ladder test recently with Ramshot Magnum and 7mm Wildcat ULD RBBT 169.5 grain bullets and determined the load to use in my 7mm Wby. mag. Itís been bedded, floated, trigger tuned etc., but is pretty much a stock factory rifle with the exception of the Holland QD brake. I bore sighted the rig at 28 yards, made an adjustment and went to 100 yards. The first shot measured a little low and left of where I wanted it. After measuring and adjusting the scope I shot the 3 shot group up and to the right of the ď1SĒ sighter.

As near as I can measure itís .091Ē. Itís easy to see the upper right and upper left shots but the #2 shot in the lower left canít be easily detected without the micrometer. Itís just a few thou below the #1 shot. I wasnít about to shoot 2 more and try for 5 shots because I know it would have grown.

Was it a fluke? Damn right. Can the gun do it routinely and average .091Ē at 100 yards? Never. Did it to it today, just once? You bet it did, and it sure felt good. Canít wait to get it out to the long range area and see what the Wildcats will do at longer range.

Normally itís ĹĒ+/- groups for this gun, which for a factory rifle is pretty good. But since switching to the Wildcat Ramshot combo it sure seems to like what it is being fed.

Kirby: Youíd better wave your magic wand over those two new rigs because I expect them to do a lot better.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: Some times the shooting gods smile

You know where that target goes don't you?
On the refrigerator door! unless of course, you have an office at work, then it goes on the back of the door.
Every time you see it you say to yourself "I can shoot like this"
Definately a fluke, but when they happen, soak them up.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:32 AM
Platinum Member

Really nice target.

I am going to leave in a few minutes and go to the range to test some bullets in a 7mm Wby. A couple of questions if U have the time

The Wildcat bullets- are these the J4 jackets or the hunting bullets?

Second, what primer are you using?
Old 06-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

buffalobob:

They are the J-4 jacketed ULDís and I use Federal 215 primers. Good luck at the range.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

U know what'd be nice, don't u?? 10 X that grp. size @ 1000. WHOOOAHHH, i guess that'd make Kirby, and Richard our heroes, ehhh???
Old 06-19-2005, 06:15 AM
Gold Member

ss7 after looking at that group I don't wanna post anymore of mine up here! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Those factory sticks will surprise you once in a while when you least expect it and show off and when they do you sure feel good! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Those wildcats are very good shooting bullets in my rig as well but I can't match that group. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Good shooting ss7!
Keep us posted on those long range tests.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

sscoyote:

10x that group at 1000 yards and Iíd have a heart attack. Anybody would. I donít think you could fire enough groups at 1000 yards to have even a remote chance of .910Ē at that range. A fluke is a fluke but for that to happen at 1000 yards would be virtually impossible.