Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

So....we think our......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2005, 08:38 AM

Re: So....we think our......

Roy in I dee ho

Either way it's cut...he'd been a good man to have to your backside in a firefight!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

Ric,

Allrighty then ! and by the way , "Jim" will do for me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] as I only needed that extra "M" to be able to register with a name I might remember [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Besides , once you pass 55 isn't there a law that everyone can just call you " old fart " ? Well....... thats what my boys told me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yeah , Redford was not the physical specimen Jeremiah was , but hey ! he sold more theater tickets than old " big and ugly" would have.

I have always had a soft spot for the old loudenboomers . , false muzzles ,tang sights ,hand graded black powder , biggg projectiles and the best for last..................herds of buffler to whang away at ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I gotta go now , we've killed so many deer today that I will be up all night cleaning and grinding the meat [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I 'll put up some pix soon as I can. Jim Brown
Old 12-07-2005, 08:54 PM

Jim

What the ole boy say in Wyatt Earp ??? "I'm ya huckleberry!" Don't wear yaself plumb out now cleaning the deer! Git them young sprouts to do the main work if they know how!

Yep..."old fart" it can be! But....one of the BEST THINGS about becoming ONE....is that ya can say ANYTHING YA PLEASE.....and it don't make a "hoot n hells" difference cause noone pays any attention to what ya sayin other than maybe...."Didja hear whut thet ole SOB said?" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Gold Member

Guys,
I was struck with this affliction in the late 1980s when i handled a "Schuetzen" rifle circa 1880 while visiting family in Germany, i was fascinated by the heavy barrel, deep bellied stock, lavish ornamentation and a slick falling block action.

Edgar the owner said that many of these target rifles found their way to the US as war souvenirs after WWII but the best ones were hidden to stop them dissapearing out of the country.

Edgar also had a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps which i fell in love with. since then i have had a love/hate relationship with these rifles and have owned several.
I cast bullets, concocted lubes and graded powders, inhaled copious quantities of foul smelling grey smoke and scrubbed loads of black crud out of my barrels but had great fun.
Then i thought to my self why am i doing all this, when there are modern precision rifles to shoot, clean re-loading, no smoke, no filth and top accuracy. Sold the lot!
I did that three times and i am currently trying to suppress the urge to go and do it all again.

I think BPCR is in my blood and i will never be able to completely suppress it but the forward thinking on this site was helping, UNTILL YOU GUYS BROUGHT THIS SUBJECT UP.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 12-08-2005, 04:15 PM

Centre Punch

Well...ya see....I've ALREADY DONE....most of the stuff on this site so the NATURAL EVOLVEMENT was to those beautiful falling block rifles that are what all other rifles want to be when they grow up! But I still "dabble" in the SP arena also but I can do something that the LOUDENBOOMER guys can't do which is....lay down at 1000 yds. with my .45/90 or the .45/110, launch a 575 gr. all-lead cast bullet and roll over slightly and look through my spotting scope and watch that slug "whang" the steel plate I've just launched one at! Now....THAT'S A KICK IN THE ARSE if there ever was one!! And in this game....STAY HOME IF YOU CAN'T READ WIND!!

Hehehe!!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Well ,truth is they can clean em ,do clean em and I pretty much just get in the way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
BTW what is terminal velocity for such big pills at 1000 ? Never chronoed any so as far as that goes how fast are they starting out ?

I've always had a hankering to take a big buffler at 800 to a thou ,one shot ,clean kill . Just wish they were still free ranging someplace , can't get excited about busting someones "cow ".

Jim
Old 12-08-2005, 07:27 PM

Jim

Check your email! Sent you a PM!!