Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

So now that you have explained the importance of NODE, WHY DON'T MORE OF YOU.........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

So now that you have explained the importance of NODE, WHY DON'T MORE OF YOU.........

Since finding your accuracy node is so critical when it comes to long range shooting why don't more of you spend the $11 to experiment with a Sims barrel de-resonator also called the Sharpshooter X-Ring or have you???
If you have then what were your results?
I started a topic a while back on this but only got 1 response and that person said he uses them on 4 out of 5 of his rifles and swore they made a noticeable difference. I bought one and plan on doing my own tests with it but in the meantime I would like to hear from those of you who have tried them already and if you haven't WHY NOT??? IT'S ONLY $11!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: So now that you have explained the importance of NODE, WHY DON'T MORE OF YOU.....

because the harmonics are still there. and you still need to time the barrel. that little rubber thingy may disapate the resonance quicker but it doesn't really do much by the time the bullet has left the barrel
Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

Re: So now that you have explained the importance of NODE, WHY DON'T MORE OF YOU.....

yes, i use them. but not all rifles saw a benefit, I have them on 4 rifles and they do work. I guess i don't know how to time a bbl, but the vibrations are "tuned" with the simms to a very noticeable degree.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

I am not a LR competitive shooter, all my shooting is for fun and hunting purposes. However, I have a great deal or respect for those who compete in LR events and I think most would agree that our LR hunting sport owes a lot to the BR and highpower shooting communities. While I don't shoot competitively, I do like to wander around the line and watch and talk to guys that do. When I start seeing those guys with "barrel de-resonators" I will start to think about trying one. If they really worked, the competitive shooters would be using them. Maybe that is the lazy way out, but I think I will stick to it until some of those guys who know a lot more about this stuff than I do start hawking them.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

I'm not saying they will replace the need of finding your accuracy node but perhaps on some rifles it could. If there is not much difference between TDC (Top Dead Center) and BDC then perhaps one of these would give you "good enough" results? This would depend on the rifle but it worked on 4 out of 5 rifles for one of our members.

For bench rest purposes I would be surprised if many of them would replace finding their node with this product but these are guys that will do anything to get one up on the competition. So why not after you have found your node try one and see if you can increase your results? For that matter try one before finding your node and after?

I know some of you are perfectionists and want to control everything in your power to gain accuracy. If this describes you wether you are a BR guy or a hunter I would love your opinions on this. Like I said I'm going to do my own experimenting but I'm just shocked that for $11 dollars more people have not already tried.

I am a hunter and have no BR experience but I am a perfectionist and just love debating issues such as this for the sake of learning something new.

Thanks for allowing me to burn up some of your brain cells!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

The rules in short range benchrest just changed recently to allow the use of tuners on their barrels. They use mechanical tuners that can be moved a thousandth of an inch at a time. I'm not sure whether they are allowed by the long range rules or not.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

Maybe I am just too lazy or skeptical to try it, but either way for those of us shooting high intensity rounds it would cost a lot more than the $11......

First one would have to consider how many shots would it take to verify?? Lets say two three shot groups at 500 yards to establish a baseline for performance. (that is pretty much a minimum, one group seldom proves anything, two is only just a little better)

Then how about we start with the de-resonator 2" from the muzzle end of the barrel, fire two 3 shot groups. Move it 1" back and fire another pair of groups, move it back another inch and fire another pair of groups, etc..............

Evaluate the results: Maybe we notice that 6" from the muzzle gave us two groups that averaged smaller than our baseline groups without the de-resonator. Now we need to fire another 3 to 5 sets of groups with, then without the de-resonator to see if there really is a difference........

$11???? Now I have fired at least 100 rounds of precision loaded ammo which took hours to load, had to clean my rifle barrel at least 5 times, burned up 100 rounds of barrel life in barrel that is only good for 700. Looks like a lot more than $11 to me.

Please understand I am having a little fun with this and only being half serious. But, half serious I am....... often with things like the de-resonator or different primers, different seating depth, a little more or a little less powder we can fool ourselves into thinking we have hit the magic combination based on one or two fantastic groups. The problem is, we may later figure out that all it was, was a couple of great groups, not the holy grail. I have talked to guys who swear by those things, but when I quiz them about how they tested it there was no real scientific test at all, they just got a good group and became convinced it was the de-resonator.

Most guys who are competitive shooters or serious long range shooters keep very detailed log books. Everything is in there regarding the load, rifle, environmental conditions, etc. for every round fired from that rifle. That data is used to spot trends or as a basis for comparison. One or two 3 round groups seldom tells the whole tale.....

Don't let my being a skeptic discourage you from trying it. Just know when you do a post on how great the thing works that the skeptics like me will want to see a detailed experiment, not one 3 shot group...... or I for one will probably remain a skeptic.