Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

So I'm watching the Sportsman's channel.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

So I'm watching the Sportsman's channel.......

and I'm watching this man and wife "professional" hunters on a hunt at a ranch in Texas. The man and wife supposedly run a similar opperation in New Mexico. Anyway, the man heads out to hunt white tail deer and the wife goes off to hunt some imported African antelope. The man sets up in an elevated blind and as he's about to shoot a nice big buck about 100 yards away, he puts the barrel of the rifle on the window sill of the blind to take the shot. Can you guess what happens?

Now, lets go find his wife. Wifey is up in a hilly area when she spots a really nice African type antelope. She has some of those "steady stick" that you rest your rifle on so you can steady your rifle better and thus get a better shot off. She puts out her steady sticks and places the barrel of her rifle on the sticks and lines up on the Antelope which is maybe 300 yards away. Open terrain and the animal is lined up perfectly for a clean shot to the vitals. Can you guess what happened?

Remember, these are "professional" hunters.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Gold Member

I didn't see the show but I'll guess they both missed.
A while back I watched a show with Jim Zumbo, same setup gun on the window sill deer at 100 yds and he missed. This is one of the reasons I believe that Zumbo is against long range hunting, in his mind if he can mis at 100 yds how are you going to make a clean shot at 1000.
James
Old 09-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Silver Member

You are todays winner, James!

They both shot low! And both couldn't figure out what they did wrong. In fact the guide with the lady tried to console her by telling her that was a long, hard shot. He didn't even bother watching her and telling her what she was doing wrong, by putting her barrel on the sticks.

I totally hear you on Zumbo! What's up with these so called "professionals"?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
What's up with these so called "professionals"?
Professionals MAA! (My Aching *****)
Old 09-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

resting

I have seen this on other channels DOZENS of times by amateurs and TV 'Pros'. Usually I want to choke up my supper when I see people using their barrel rests. Then they miss and I laff like h.ell. These pros have people carry their rifle, then use shootign stix or other mechanical rests improperly.

Always remember...if it's on your tv, it's a SHOW. Even the evening news isnt real.

NRA Life Member
Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

That's why I can't stand to watch any hunting shows. Just makes me break out in hives. Especially those whitetail hunts and turkey hunts.

I wonder how it is that people attain "expert hunter" status before they attain even a novice level of shooting prowess. Isn't that skipping a crucial step unless you're running animals down and beating them with a club?
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Bronze Member

The show is looking strictly for charisma. Missing is OK as long as you look good doing it.