Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Skim bedding an aluminum bedding block.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Skim bedding an aluminum bedding block.

I posted last winter about possibly buying a Weatherby Accumark. I got the rifle and to make a long story short it was returned to a service center and they didn't get it right so it went back to Weatherby. When it came back from Weatherby it shot incredibly well for about 20 rounds then it went to heck in a hand basket. The problem is (I think) bedding issues. After being returned twice it's pretty obvious Weatherby isn't going to take enough pride in their crafstmanship to make the rifle shoot.

Well, I just spent an hour searching the forum for the article that has photos and a step by step explanation of skim bedding an aluminum bedding block. Will someone please point me in the right direction? Thank you.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Skim bedding an aluminum bedding block.

What is different after those 20 shots? One of my Accumarks is bedded and it is my best shooter. I am probably going to bed my 300 to see if that will tighten it up. It looks pretty simple. It is a different technique due to the front action screw bolting up into the bottom of the recoil lug. I am busy the rest of this week but I will put together a post to explain how it was done.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

One other thing before you go the bedding route is to invest in an inch pound torque wrench and double check the torque on the action screws. My manual says 65 inch pounds but I believe the new ones are calling for 55 inch pounds. If they are coming loose a dab of blue loctight might help.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:02 AM
Gold Member

Ankeny, you didn't say what caliber you were shooting.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

It's a 7mm STW. I have a torque wrench and the specs call for 65 in. lb. In a nutshell, the rifle went back twice because the point of impact would shift and the group size might be 1/4 moa one time and 2 moa the next. I discovered a pressure spot about 1.5 inches ahead of the recoil lug so I sanded it out and the gun is now giving me consistent grouping, but I would like to tighten it up. When I put the stock in the bedding block and run the screws in just tight enough to hold, I can see daylight around one side of the receiver. Of course the daylight goes away when I torque the screws, but obviously the fit could be improved.

It really seems like I saw a post, including photographs, on skim bedding the Bell and Carlson type stocks on this forum about 6 months ago. Can anyone help me locate the thread?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
It really seems like I saw a post, including photographs, on skim bedding the Bell and Carlson type stocks on this forum about 6 months ago. Can anyone help me locate the thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

could it be this thread:
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...rt=all&vc=1
Old 05-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

The main difference between bedding a Mark 5 on a bedding block and most other guns has to do with the recoil lug. The Mark 5 must be bedded tight on bottom of the lug where say a M700 you usually put a couple layers of tape on the bottom of the lug to create clearance. Otherwise when you tighten the front screw that threads into the recoil lug it will put a lot of stress on the front of the action. My recoil lug is actually bedded tight all the way around. It does make it a lot harder to put in and out of the stock but there isn't much reason to be taking it out of the "wood" that much anyway. When I do my 300wby Accumark I will post some pictures but it will be a couple weeks before I get to it.

Gordy and Brady.