Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Single shot rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 AM

Single shot rifles

I have a quick question about a nef single shot rifle. I have heard that nef rifles are not as accurate as say a bolt action rifle, my question is say your shooting off a bench with the forearm of the rifle resting on the bench and sight it in and then when your hunting with it by holding it at the forend wouldn't you be exerting different pressure on the barrel? Also if instead of say resting the barrel on a bench or what have you what if you rested the rifle behind the pivot point of the barrel of the rifle to remove stress from the barrel would that make a difference in accuraccy? I understand that if you sight in that way you would have to hunt that way as in holding it farther back towards the stock to make better shot.

Thanks to anyone who has some answers to these questions. I haven't shot the rifle much lately and was just thinking about how to make it a little more accurate without changing anything out. I have started handloading for it hoping that will help a little.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:31 AM
Gold Member

Re: Single shot rifles

Yes, your thinking is logical. Go check out the NEF forum at Graybeard Outdoors, more info on those rifles than anywhere else I know of.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:04 PM

Re: Single shot rifles

alright thanks apparently I was googling the wrong thing and couldn't find anything on it but here is a post that I found without even searching. He confirmed what I was thinking. He was saying that the best place to rest it was right under the hinge. Next time I go shooting I'll shoot it under the hinge to sight it in and then ill shoot a few groups to see what happens to my accuracy. I'll post what happens on here when switching from the hinge to the forearm.

A few good tips for shooting single shot rifles can be found here for anyone that has some accuracy issues with a single shot rifle. Handi Basics 101

Thanks