Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Should we believe anything in the main stream gun mags???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Should we believe anything in the main stream gun mags???

Most of the main gun mags have certain writers that are "on staff" and few if any outside articles are taken regardless of who send them in. Often then the mag editor "tweaks" the article to a certain number of words, normally shortening it and often leaving some things out that you and I would consider important.

I have a good friend that is an outdoor writer and he often gets invited to mftr promo events where they are taken on limited hunts to test new guns and often sent guns to test and hopefully write articles. They can often buy the guns at test end for a reduced price.

Most are better writers than gun experts, but not all.

Interesting field but not for me.

BH
Old 03-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Gold Member

I also enjoyed some of Mr. Simpson's articles in the past &
I have his 7mm, 6.5 & .257 articles stored somewhere in my
storage building. But, it does appear that a big part of the
article that I mentioned was about selling the Vanguard & all writers as you said have to do this little dance. In one month they will tell you that the standard rounds are all you need & the very next month the same writer will be promoting a new magnum rifle to high heaven.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Don't read the magazines any more many seem to be advertisement for specific products, some of the later ones were more informed but still a lot of questionable articles... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2006, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

A couple of point to remember. First a dedicated gun magazine writer is trying to write articles that appeal to his or her subscribers and must write in a manner and styles that is in line with the subscribers views. If the writer does not write articles that are what the magazine subscribers want then the magazine will develop a problem with people not buying them. Long range hunting is a very small specialty niche and it would be very hard to sell enough magazines to make a profit. If you are bored and have nothing to do you can go over to 24 hour campfire, greybeard outdoors, etc and see what mainstream hunters talk about.

What are the magazines good for then? Well I will use this example. In late 1994 when my special ordered Ford Mustang finally arrived, I had not modified a car in twenty something years (at least not to the extent this car was going to be modified). Every month I bought every gofastfordmustang magazine on the racks. I poured over the technical articles and evaluated different parts and calculated how many dollars I would spend for how much horsepower. For someone like me, who was just getting started, the magazines were extremely helpful. However, just like in gun magazines you have to read a little between the lines and it helps to already be an expert in order to know what is not being said. Example, after getting a K&N air filter and a 65mm throttle body, I installed a set of headers. If you know anything about ford engines you know that the headers arenít the problem and until you have the intake side opened up you are not exhaust limited. But every magazine article on headers showed what a great horsepower improvement they made, it was just not pointed out that the cars had big valve heads on them. So my car did not go any faster but it sure sounded better. In the end I had big valve aluminum heads and my investment in headers paid off. The magazines helped both me and the car part sales department.

Now on the second car I donít buy very many vette magazines because I do not get much information in return for my investment. This is the point to me. I buy a rifle or archery or car magazine when I want to know something that is in that particular issue. In other words is there value exchanged.

In archery magazines I pretty much donít bother anymore because I donít sit up in tree stands so all these little short stubby bows are useless to me. Also because I have a 36 inch sleeve length, all of the little short stubby bows are useless to me. Also because I tend to finger shoot all the little short stubby bows are useless to me. Everybody else shoots these little short stubby bows and thinks they are great and that is what sells magazines. I get no value from the magazine in return for my dollars spent in purchasing it.

Oddly enough, I often buy a magazine in order to just to look at the advertisements to see who is selling what at what prices.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Sponsor

JB,

Did you write an article in the recent issue of Precision Shooter?

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 03-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
JB,

Did you write an article in the recent issue of Precision Shooter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Precision Shooting

Shawn -- yep, tis me. The cover photo belongs with the article too...Pg34...Did you read it?

JB
Old 03-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

So, JB, you have now joined the ranks of the shiftless dirty dog, no account gunwriters. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

That one was just too good to resist. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

See you Saturday next.