Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Should we believe anything in the main stream gun mags???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 08:30 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Should we believe anything in the main stream gun mags???

[ QUOTE ]
Actually though, I have read some articles by Ian McMurchy. He actually does advocate shooting long range and tells the equipment and what not. He is one writer I dont mind reading

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure Ian will thank you kindly for "buttering his toast."
Old 03-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Silver Member

"GUN TESTS" appears to give an honest objective opinion; Like "CONSUMER REPORTS". If you are unfamiliar they accept no advertising and usally pit two or three differant makes of similar firearms against one another, comparing performance, aesthetics and price. I wouldn't exactly call it a mainstream publication.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

"He said he zeroed the rifle dead on at 100 yards. Red flag #2. What experienced hunter sights their rifle in dead on at 100 yards?"

One who memorizes comeups for several rifles...keeps things parallel in your (my) brain, and you never forget where your zero is in a pinch.

What is wrong with a 100yd zero exactly? If you are looking for "max point blank range" type shooting then maybe not, but i doubt many of us here operate like that...

BTW -- anyone can send articles in to magazines...write something up and send 'er in [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JB
Old 03-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Bronze Member

Fiftydriver, it kind of makes you wonder doesn't it? I stop reading the gun rags a long time ago. Most of what is in there is Re-hash of what has already been printed. Now that is unless you are the type that is easy lead around by the nose over the so called miracle calibers like the WSM's etc.

I spend very little if any of my money on a gun rag! Anything that comes up new is generated around our hunt and rifle club. I would put much more faith in the members there than somebody trying to increase circulation of a gun rag. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Crane,

I would have to agree with you there. I used to subscribe to gun tests but they did not cover alot of what I was interested. That said though, they did give 100% honest opinions of the test items!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

JB1000br,

So your telling me you think old Brian Pearce, the revolver and lever action nut was just zeroed in at 100 yards so he had the proper zero for dialing up at longer ranges.

I see the humor in that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Now if we were talking about zeroing at 100 yards, I would instantly assume you had a top end scope on that rifle with the full intent of dialing in for longer ranges when needed.

I can not even begin to allow myself to believe Brian ever had this method of shooting cross his mind.

One last thing, write up an article and send it to Shooting Times, Guns and Ammo, Rifle, Handloader and any of the other main stream magazines and see how long it takes to get it printed. In most cases you will not even get a response telling you your article will not be printed. Believe me on this one!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby, I just finished a rant on nearly the same subject, aimed at Wayne van Zwoll. (see "The Front Porch" Precision Long Range Hunting forum)

It is rediculous the crap the writers pass off. One thing I don't understand is how you can look in one mag and the same guy writes 3 articles a month, and has another 3-4 articles in a couple other Mags as well. Rick Jamison is a champion of the art of article recycling. Changes a few words and phrases and off to the next editor. Anybody that gets 3-4 gun mags every month knows what I'm talking about.