Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Should we believe anything in the main stream gun mags???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Should we believe anything in the main stream gun mags???

To all,

Was sitting here on a breif lunch break reading a current issue of Rifle Magazine. I don;t read many of the mainstream mags anymore, Reloader and Rifle magazine are about it to be honest. There is still alot of fluff in them but did not seem as much as the others so I do still read them from time to time.

Anyway, I was reading an article titled "Thompson/Center Arms- Pro Hunter Encore" written by Brian Pearce. Why Brian wrote this article is beyond me as he is a revolver and lever action shooter.

This article was talking about the new stainless Encore handgun and mainly 28" barreled rifle. As I read though this article I began picking up things that just did not add up.

First off, he wrote that this was a production rifle and then just after that said it has a crisp trigger which let off at 3 1/4 lbs with a clean break. Red flag number one.

Then he wrote about sighting the rifle in for a Kentucky Whitetail hunt. He said he zeroed the rifle dead on at 100 yards. Red flag #2. What experienced hunter sights their rifle in dead on at 100 yards?

Then he writes of the hunt and how he was hunting a specific 4x4 which he finally got lined up on fourth day of the hunt. The buck was at 200 yards and in thick brush and then suddenly appeared only a patch of the deer which he "could clearly identify as the heart lung area. and took the shot.

My question is this. He was supposedly shooting a 280 Rem using factory ammo loaded with the 160 gr Accubond. I do not know what the muzzle velocity of this ammo was but I would guess in the 2800 fps range in the 280 Rem. Now with a dead on zero at 100 yards, he would be pushing 4" low at 200 yards. Not that it would be impossible or even hard to make the shot on this deer with this sight in but if you could only see a very small portion of the bucks heart/lung area and you had 4" of drop from 100 to 200 yards, I would suspect either the buck was alot closer then he writes or its just a story.

Anyway, the shot was made, the deer ran 60-70 yards and piled up. He writes about the very mature 4x4 being one of the largest bodied deer he had ever shot and then the story was over. I had to look at the next page to see if there was a picture of the buck or not.

This really raise my suspision of the article. These guys go on promo hunts ALL THE TIME to advertise a companies new products. You can not tell me they would not have a camera with them on a promo hunt to show the readers the friuts of these new wonderful products.

All in all, after reading the article I set there thinking, this guy just made up the entire article out of his head and tried to pass it on as legit testing. I can not prove this but it sure as heck smells of stink!!!

So I guess my comment is this, how many of the main stream magazine articles are based on actual range and field testing and how many are total fictional reading. I don't dare say what I really think but I will say 50% actual testing is probably being very gracious to these main stream gun writers.

Now I know they are given assignments on what to write about by the industry, no secret there, thats fine but I get the feeling they are not even actually putting in the time to actually test these products and give a valuable, even though biased opinion of the product.

Alright, done ranting!! Will let my subscription of Rifle Magazine laps next time and just read here on LRH [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Your opinions welcome, am I being to hard on the main stream gun writers? Let me know.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Should we believe anything in the main stream gun mags???

There are many reasons I flat out dont read "gun" magazines. You will see me hanging around this site and thats about it. There is alot more reality here than in the "gun" mags. Always been dissapointed after reading a gun mag esspecially when they are attached to a name like "Craig Boddington" and such who tells 1/2 the story. Or tells you what you should do (or not do) and then admits he just did what he told you to do (or not to do) but doesnt tell you to what extent he does it, but its okay for him to, but not me. Do as I say not as I do....HYPOCRITE!!! I am glad I got that off my chest! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Never been dissapointed in here.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Bronze Member

More likely, these guys are just average shooters overloaded with products to test, dealines to meet and free gift hunts to go on. In addition, they all know how important it is to be "honest" and "sure" when evaluating a product. Of course honest and sure to us means telling us that the binoculars fogged some in the corner. The lens caps fell off never to be found again and that the left turret on the scope was mushy.

But honest and sure to an editor means. . .be sure that what you say about a product can be substantuated. These are our advertising dollars at stake. It just depends who you are being honest to.

Also, the product manufacturers make it easy by providing you a product which has been fully tested and confirmed to exceed the company's spec in every way. It is filled full of center spec parts and provided with ammo matched for the best result. Oh yea, the action is a one off custom and the barrel is made from a custom blank because they are "prototype." Any issues found are resolved with the phrase production guns will be more consistant.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

When I am working in a town that has a decent book store, I
will look at the magazines & try to find a mag. worth buying. I typically won't buy over 1 mag. every 2 months. I
looked at the newest Shooting Times & the .257 Wea. article
by Layne Simpson. I like that round but I feel he went a little overboard concerning traj. & uses of the round by
refering to it as a Mice to Moose round. Just normal stuff
I am afraid.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:51 PM
SPONSOR

Funny thing is, I skim through the pages for the exact same reason you guys don't read them. I guess maybe it makes me feel like a bigger person to make fun of others. It never ceases to amaze me what some people will believe. If it's in print it has to be true [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 03-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Bill,

It is that belief in false or biased comments that can be a real pain in the rear to a gunsmith.

I have had customers ask about my 257 AM and want to know how fast it will drive a 100 gr Ballistic Tip. When I tell them 4100 fps in a 30" barrel they often look at me and say, so and so says the 257 Wby will do nearly that same thing but in a 26" barrel.

It always amazes me how quick the general public is to believe what is written in print. One great thing about this board is that if something is said that does not add up, it is questioned. Not rudely in most cases, just asked to provide solid back ground facts or data supporting the claims.

I would give my left arm to get Rick Jamison in a closed room where he had to answer 20 questions I prepared for him. Unfortunately, they all seem to be going the same direction. I actually like Layne Simpson. Really liked his writing when he was developing the STW rounds. Now that Rem has buried that round as a commercial offering his writing seem much less interesting.

I think the main issue is that the gun writers are told what to write about to spur product sales. This is in spite of what we as shooters and hunters really want to read about.

Guess there is nothing to do but shut up and go shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Not that my age really means anything, but I like to say I am quite competent in the calibers and what there perforamnce levels are. I have spent I dont know how many countless hours on this site. this is by far the best place for information. Those so called experts that write, crack me up really. I think there are plenty people on this board that could do what they do. I think they try to sell more general stuff to the general public because if you think about it, thats where 90% of the stuff is marketed. Us long range shooters make up only a small percentage of shooters. We know what it takes to shoot long range and the equipment and the know how to use it. They dont really advocate shooting past 300 yards in any magazine I read and it still cracks me up to this day. When I start going into ballistics and what not, and talking about long range and making even a 500-600 yard shot, people look at me like I'm retarded, I think most of it has to do with my age, or maybe that they think I'm talking in a foreign language. Whatever it may be, us long range shooters truly are different breed, even after all the years spent on this site, and shooting and looking at ballistic table, all the rambling i've done to my dad, he still only shoots out to 400 yards or so and is still hazey on all the technical stuff and ballistics, and he has to listen to it from me every day! Sometimes I feel sorry for the poor old guy, ha ha. I'm with you fifty, these expert gun writers really need to get with the program.

Actually though, I have read some articles by Ian McMurchy. He actually does advocate shooting long range and tells the equipment and what not. He is one writer I dont mind reading [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]