Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Short range hunting question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2004, 11:11 PM
Bronze Member

Short range hunting question.

Face camo.
I am conivnced animals recognize the human face real easy at shorter ranges.So I am planning on adopting a policy of alwaysing wearing face camo when there is a chance of close in action.But so far the cheap facemasks I have tried have been a hasle.I like the idea of always being able to just throw a mask on no matter what time of the year,but I havn't found one I like.So now I am thinking about the washable face paints.
Any comments or suggestions?
Old 01-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: Short range hunting question.

Agreed, Frank.

I believe the human eyes, predator morphology, really stand out to wildlife.

For close-in hunting scenarios, I use face paint as well. Since I'm a sweatin' fool even in the winter, I have to use an oil base paint or I soon look worse than Phyllis Diller with a hangover [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I don't get fancy, just break up the lines of the predominant human orbits. My focus is on vertical streaking with eyelids blacked such as you see baseball outfielders using. Being as unattractive as I am, this practice can actually enhance my appearance [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Do not recall what brand I use but it hangs in through inclement weather and survives my oily schnoz.

I carry a small 'paint' kit in my hunting pack with a makeup remover included. I remove my 'face' before I dress my kill. This allows maximum visibility to other hunters when I'm packin' out.

Regards.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: Short range hunting question.

Frank,

I use the full head mask found at Wal-Mart for five bucks. They have a single hole for the eyes, and two straps, one for above, and one just below the ears.

The reflection off of my shiny white face has spooked off many an animal, wearing a mask, I can get them in closer, and hold them there longer.

But Holmes nailed it. The eye's will spook them every time. I can watch them with peripheral vision for a long time. But look directly at them and they spook.