Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Shooting Suppressor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Bronze Member

Shooting Suppressor

Some time back I remember seeing a suppressor that someone had made to shoot a gun through, that was made out of a piece of culvert lined with egg crate foam. I was trying to find that thread again to get some more info. Anyone remember seeing too? I'm trying to get neighbor friendly. TIA
Old 05-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Shooting Suppressor

this guy has somthing like you are talking about
http://forums.sixgunner.com/m.aspx?m=27446
Old 05-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

I have seen photos of a set-up where a guy took a bunch of old tires and stacked them up, bolting them together, sidewall to sidewall, as the stack grew. After the stack was 5-6 feet tall, he put a piece of pipe along side the stack, running from the ground up. He attached the pipe to the tires to give them support and to keep the stack from sagging when he laid it over so that the centerline of the stack was horizontal. He then hoisted it up so that the stacl of bolted together tires (now a horizontal tube) was level with his shooting bench.

He said that when he positioned his muzzle just inside the tube of tires and fired, the sidewalls acted like baffles in a silencer and reduced the muzzle blast significantly.

Best of luck with your project.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:38 AM
Bronze Member

That's the one Brian. Thanks for you're help.