Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Shooting rests --no bipods !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Silver Member
Re: Shooting rests --no bipods !

Sam ,

Does the back leg swivel on that rest -you know -so you don't have to pick the whole thing up to adjust windage.
What's it called ?

[/ QUOTE ]The buttstock support leg swivels back/forth and forward/backward. In the picture the rifle is just balanced there for the pix. It takes a little practice to get used to the movements but I find it very stable. It's made by Stoney Point and the back leg is call a taq-a-long. The whole setup is a little over $100.

Unread 05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

I did a little looking at camera tripods -look pretty good!

I'm wondering if a swivel head attachment could be modified to hold a rifle while using a compact chair/stool ?
I broke my back a couple of years ago on my mx bike so laying prone for any length of time has me oooing OOOHing in short order.

I've seen a couple of the real small 4-wheelers for kids that made me think in the back of my mind -that would make a nice shooting buggy.
Suzuki makes an 80cc two-cycle that is so quiet it's amazing.I can only imagine another hunter seeing me 6-2" 190lbs on a 80cc 4-wheeler [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Nonetheless i've considered one as a coyote hunting buggy.

Imagine one of those camoed out w/a -what would appear to be a front to back roll-bar w/a swivel type shooting chair about 6' off the ground...
Jig up a foam rifle scabbard/shooting platform on the little front rack to shoot from the riding position- and a shooting accessory box that would hold binos/rangefinder ect. then maybe gillie suit the whole thing out w/ some burlap camo strips.That would make a fine hunting shooting platform!
Of coarse you couldn't go into wilderness areas w/a vehicle but out in the blm land or an eastern hunter on a hunting lease would be pretty mobile w/a rig like this.
Animals are use to hearing/seeing vehicles of any type.
I was coyote calling one day and about two minutes into my stand i heard a 4-wheeler coming in the distance-sure enough he came within one hundred yards of me down the same dirt road i had walked off of.
I started back calling after he had been gone 6-8 minutes and a few minutes later i heard him coming back.Quads were not allowed in there so it kind of ticked me off.Well again after he was all but out of hearing -i resumed calling and spotted a coyote meandering around in the brush but never got a shot.
Animals figure things out pretty quick a vehicle moving through an area doesn't scare them.
Ease in slowly and i'd bet within minutes the animals be going about business as usual.-Mike
AIPAC for president !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 05-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Sam ,

I'll look them up !
AIPAC for president !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 05-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

I cobbled one of these. Vertical was very good but horizontal was not so good. That's with a 338 Win Mag.

I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Unread 05-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Roto Blaster that works great. I normally can get within 1/2 mile of where I am hunting, but our ground is pretty flat so weight is no big deal. If I had steep terrain I probably would not shoot a 12 1/2 pound rifle, carry a 17 pound rest and also a backpack [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

For 360 degree shooting I don't think that you can beat this type of setup, but if it were Aluminum it would even be better.