Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Shooting rests --no bipods !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Shooting rests --no bipods !

Howdoo ,

We all do load development off shooting benchs of some sort -what can be used portable to say a mile from the truck.As stated in the subject line no bipods.
Here in idaho and MANY other places- weeds/sagebrush etc. will not let you shoot from a prone position often enough.

What is out there ? or what could be built that is portable enough to pack a mile or more and not die doing it?

I leave my truck behind and my longrange shooting goes down the drain.
I saw a precision contraption once in varmint hunter magazine -kind of like the transit deal Len is selling but very adjustable and obviously very high dollar.
I'd like something were i could sit comfortably and glass w/the gun sitting at ready on a small? bench ? set-up?? something?
Honestly i don't like laying on the ground -the dry silty dirt ,stickers etc ain't for me.I'm out there to enjoy myself and want a comfortable/portable shooting set-up.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: Shooting rests --no bipods !

Old 05-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

I built an L shaped shooting table short enough to sit my butt on the ground and light enough to pack w/a couple of straps on my back. Worked ok but still didn't like it.

No bipod, try a tripod as in ultimate tripod. Len has one for sale. They are pretty much the ticket.

The way I do it is all prone and have been known to carry a set of grass shears and a small shovel. During my scouting activities in the summer I prep my hides with the shovel.

I don't mess with anything smaller than a yote from a hide thus tall grass isn't a problem.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

Ol'Mike, I'm in the same boat as you. The best thing I have found so far is a cheap camera tripod. I made a leather lined v block attachment for my rifle set in. Works pretty good.The legs can be individually adjusted for slope plus you can change the elevation without removing your eye from the scope. It's light wieght and very compact. I usually just strap it to my backpack. The only problem I have found with this setup is that I have to have my back up against a tree or something to get very stable. This is not nearly as good as shooting prone with bipod, but like you, the lay of the land just will not let me shoot that way. I'm interested to see what kind of responses you get because I was going to ask the same question.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

Check out the rests at this site very nice. And watch the video. http://www.lonestarfieldproducts.com/
Old 05-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Sam ,

Does the back leg swivel on that rest -you know -so you don't have to pick the whole thing up to adjust windage.
What's it called ?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Wade ,

That's a very nice rest but a liitle out of the shooting rest budget right now.
That new versa rest would be my choice.