Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Shooting off your house’s deck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting off your house’s deck

I guess I dont see too much humor, exept in the case of pulling it off without his we wife knowing. I thought everyone who lived outside city limmits shot varmints out thier window or off thier deck. Ive done both.
Ive found that a ''hide'' made from reading pillows, and blankets about 15 feet inside the sliding door is the best way to whack birds stealing dog food.
And the mini fridge is a great portable shooting bench when sage ratts are in the pasture. Just get a camp chair, and an extention cord and roll er out onto the deck. Not to mention the fridge works well at keeping your...........''lunch''.......cool.
Am I way off here? I seriously thought everyone shot from thier own home. Heck we used to get all cocky shootin sage rats till grandma would grab a 22, step out onto the deck, and tell us to pick a branch on a tree that needed trimming out there a piece. Then shed shoot and show us boys up and go back inside. Either Im reading this post all wrong, or most of you guys need to move away from the city where you can enjoy the simple things. We all shoot from our houses in Eastern Oregon.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
He's probably got a fan behind him blowing the smell out the window. What I really want to know is what warning system Roy has in place that gives him enough lead time to put the fan up, put the screen back in place, close the window and get the gun, ammo etc into the appropriate room before the Misses walks through the front door.

+1 this should be in the humor section...Thanks Roy.
I imagine a LONG gravel driveway? My parents property where I shoot off the deck, I lie on the table. We have a long (gravel) driveway so when I here the car off in the distance I gotta quickly dismantle everything, go grab a coke and just sit down. Then my parents come and are asking what I'm doing just sittin there like an angel.
I've nearly shot through the railing with my 22 one time... Got lucky and the safety was still on and then I notices that the scope cleared it, but the blast would have at least burned the railing and the bullet grazed it..
Old 04-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Winmag, it's not the shooting from the deck that's funny, it's picturing someone doing the mad scramble to clean everything up before all hell breaks loose.lol
Old 04-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
I guess I dont see too much humor, exept in the case of pulling it off without his we wife knowing. I thought everyone who lived outside city limmits shot varmints out thier window or off thier deck. Ive done both.
Ive found that a ''hide'' made from reading pillows, and blankets about 15 feet inside the sliding door is the best way to whack birds stealing dog food.
And the mini fridge is a great portable shooting bench when sage ratts are in the pasture. Just get a camp chair, and an extention cord and roll er out onto the deck. Not to mention the fridge works well at keeping your...........''lunch''.......cool.
Am I way off here? I seriously thought everyone shot from thier own home. Heck we used to get all cocky shootin sage rats till grandma would grab a 22, step out onto the deck, and tell us to pick a branch on a tree that needed trimming out there a piece. Then shed shoot and show us boys up and go back inside. Either Im reading this post all wrong, or most of you guys need to move away from the city where you can enjoy the simple things. We all shoot from our houses in Eastern Oregon.

If I only lived in a place where this is the convetional wisom!

My grandma wouldn't hunt 'em, nor shoot 'em, nor gut 'em and clean 'em. But she will cook!
Old 04-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Winmag, it's not the shooting from the deck that's funny, it's picturing someone doing the mad scramble to clean everything up before all hell breaks loose.lol
Oh, ok, sorry. Maybe he has his wife come in the door closest to the loading bench, and by the time she sees Roy, shes so ''relaxed'' from the superglue fumes that she either doesnt care, or just plain forgets what she saw.......... Roy mustve built up a pretty good tollerance to superglue fumes by now....... Maybe thats his secret. Or else he's quicker than we all gave him credit for.......nope, thats not it..... I distinctly remember a post about a new fangled battery cable..........I dont think qiuck is his strong suit.....its gotta be the glue
Sorry Roy, I had to after that ''new gel powder post''. OK, now that were even, you can be my hero again.
I gotta respect my elders, so Ill just go back to bein the young grasshopper again

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Winmag, you gave me an ideaIf I ever get caught by the wifey shooting out the kitchen or any window I'll blame it on the superglue fumes that messed up my head.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Geez guys,

Ya'll must be married to eastern women All I have to do is make sure the muzzle brake outside. When I announce Fire in the Hole, she goes into the living room.

As for the neighbor, my kitchen window is the same distance from the front of her garage as my shooting bench is behind it and same distance away. Deputy Sheriff has appeared a couple of times when all I had was a 270 Win and a 375 H&H. Neighbors called 'em while I was shooting the 270. The officer was impressed with my set up and popped off a couple of shots himself.

The only trouble with the little lady was when she discovered the three dents in the maple kitchen table make by the Hoppe's rest. I now have a leather pad to prevent that.

My only problem is set up time as all the shooting stuff is in the basement and the back area (to 1300 yds) is a crossing area for deer, elk and yotes. If it were a hunt area things would be better.

To cure that problem, I'm put some major death chemicals to the two willow trees about 100 feet in back of the house and will remove them in a couple of weeks. I'll then be able to have command of whole distance from the family room floor via the basement door.

I still have to holler REALLY LOUD, fire in the hole, as the basement door is right below the open (in the summer) kitchen window. Wife gets pretty up tight when the blast from the braked 270 AM or 338 RUM (I forget which it was) caused her to drop the hand mixer in the cake batter. I can't wait for that 375 AM to get here.

I really feel sorry for some of you guys.

As winmag said this kind of stuff is pretty normal in some parts and wasn't intended to be humorous even a little bit.....