Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Shooting benches

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-10-2005, 06:06 AM
Shooting benches

Anyone have a good source for a good shooting bench that is portable and somewhat stable?

Maybe lookin to get one for my weekend in PA.

I'm not against building one if I had some good plans

Unread 06-10-2005, 06:19 AM
Silver Member
Re: Shooting benches

I tried forever LL to buy one the way I wanted it and it couldn't be done. If it's portable it will move on you. We have steel benches set up now. No movement whatsoever. We did have wood but a couple got stolen so now the steel is so heavy a wood be thief doesn't want to throw his back out. The sad/great thing is we almost have an old runway leased which would enable us to have some 1400 yds so we will have to move these beasts.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.....Benjamin Franklin ...1759
Unread 06-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Lilja website has an article on long range shooting and he spweaks highly of a portable bench made in Montana. I could never find a company that sold it.
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Unread 06-10-2005, 08:58 PM

Great article. Thanks a million

Unread 06-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Bronze Member

Lablover: Jim Berfield 570-748-2055 in Lochaven, PA builds and sells portable shooting tables. He makes the ones with extendable legs so you can either stand or sit. And he makes a dandy adjustable rest that he incorportates into the table. I really like mine and it is very stable. Only bad thing is that he makes them one at a time and that means you cannot just get one tomorrow unless he happens to have one a customer stuck him with. If you would happen to get one from him, PM me as I have one modification suggestion. Sam.
Unread 06-24-2005, 03:02 PM

Try I just bought 1 and it is very portable and OK for stability. I think the design could use some improvement, but it is better than some. Also do a search for booger bench as there are some plans on the internet for a simple build your own. I also made one of these and it is decent.

There is a thread at about portable benches that has some good ideas.
Unread 06-24-2005, 03:36 PM

I built a steel one. 3/8 thick plate, 36 inches wide 48 inches tall with cut out for a right handed shooter. It has folding legs which is "c" channel 1/4 thick 1.5 leg by 3 inches wide. Very stable, in fact it weighs around 400 lbs. Not to portable as it takes two rather stocky guys to move it. I used headliner spray and glued some outdoor carpet on it.
I now need a trailer to carry it, I've been using my truck but like I said need to guys to mvoe the sucker.
If I were to build another one I think i would use Aluminum as the table top maybe an inch thick and steel legs be a bit more portable but not so heavy.
You can see a partial view of it in this picture Shooting bench