Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Shootin technique - Heartbeat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 06:18 AM
Bronze Member

Shootin technique - Heartbeat

When taking aim, my crosshairs are moving vertically with every heartbeat (+- 200mm at 330 yds). What can i do to manage this?
any suggestions apreciated
Pieter
Old 09-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shootin technique - Heartbeat

Are the crosshairs moving because the rifle is moving, or are the crosshairs moving because your head/eye is moving and you are seeing the Paralax in the scope?

What position are you shooting from? I'm not great at it, but what I've read, bone on bone contact eliminates muscles from the hold and limits the influence of your heartbeat. If you are shooting from the bench, you might be squeezing the rifle too tight. What rifle are you shooting?

Other things I've heard, aspirin (thinner blood), meditation (slower heartbeat), thicker clothing, gloves, different position.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Bronze Member

AJ,
It's interesting that you would mention aspirin - I noticed the pulsing of the rifle (not my head relative to the scope) yesterday during a competition. It just so happens that i had a pounding headache for most of the day. I suspect that the headache was due to partial dehydration and while i do not like to take medication, just keeping well hydrated might have a similar effect as the aspirin - thinner blood???? I will definately explore that avenue further.
I am very skinny and that would probably tie in with the thicker clothing theory. If i'm having rifle and bone with an artery in between, it would act like a hydraulic ram. Clothing, muscle mass or fat might dampen the effect..

When i first noticed it yesterday, i was shooting while seated on a stool and with the front end of the stock on a solid object. I had my right elbow on (just behind)my right knee and my right foot on the ground. The left arm/ elbow was unsupported while the left hand was holding the front end. Rifle is a stock standard hunting rifle.

You really got me thinking AJ
thanks
Pieter
Old 09-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

Try to get your right elbow on something more solid than your knee. There are a lot of muscles that will affect your shot when you have the elbow on your knee for a steady aim.