Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Shipping Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2005, 08:20 PM

Shipping Gun

Team,

I need to send a shotgun from California to Indianapolis. It will probably go FedEx ground. Are there any laws against this?

Thank you in advance,

Justin
Old 11-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shipping Gun

Yep! Depending......

Check with local Fed Firearms Lic. place. Sporting goods store etc...
Old 11-07-2005, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

It has to be shipped to a someone with a FFL. Make sure you fully insure it too. I'm sure Commiefornia has some additional rediculous regs too.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:49 AM
Gold Member

Must go to an FFL or the Factory for repair, etc. You'll need to go to the FedEx main shipping depot, since most subs are not allowed to accept firearms. I agree, insure and track that package. UPS is even stickier to ship with for "firearms". ALL handguns must go overnight by COMPANY policy! What is going on in this Country?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

Here is some info from the BATF site:

"(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [Back]

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

here's the source document.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

There will probably also be State laws to check at source and destination.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

You can even use the US Post Office for long guns. Box must not have any indication it is a firearm.