Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Shipping a firearm laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Bronze Member

Shipping a firearm laws

I came up with this question after asking FFL holders if they did transfers. The question is what is needed by the shipper to ship a firearm?
I put a deal together for a gun and the owner asked for copy of FFL papers. I hit several places looking for someone to ship my new firearm to. The shipper had asked me for a copy of the recievers FFL. This being my first time I figured heck that shouldnt be a problem. The majority of the FFL holders I asked would NOT give me a copy of there FFL. They explained how less than lawfull folks could do god knows what with it and it all sounded logical. Most told me to have the shipper call them and they would give him there FFL number. Well since the shipper asked for a copy of the papers I carried on until I found one and sent it and the $$.
Long story short what is needed by a shipper to be legal and protect himself??
Thanks guys
Old 06-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Shipping a firearm laws

im not the law here, varies state by state. for pa,,one party must have a ffl. ffl costs $$$ they wont do it for free. here@ $20-25 to use ffl plus shipping costs.handguun are a little different .but not by much. private party to private party not allowed.have reciever give you a ffl shipping address and cost involved. one ffl fee..
A NON FFL CAN SHIP TO A FFL several times they will tell you ffl-ffl for the $20 on both ends
clear enough?
Old 06-07-2005, 05:53 PM
SPONSOR

Exactly right. A gun cannot be shipped unless it is received @ an address that has an FFL. I am not sure if it is the law or not, but for precautionary purposes, we always want a copy of the FFL being shipped to that is signed by the holder. Covers you @$$ that way.

Slipshot,
I would have called them and asked for a signed copy. All you had to do is ask. Nicely. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Bronze Member

Hey I wasent pointing any fingers Bill or trying to start trouble[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I asked several and they said the only thing they would do is give the shipper there # over the phone. I just wanted to know for my own personal knowledge. I have never bought a gun that I wasent standing right in front of the seller. Just wanted to know if there was a set of rules so when they said NO I know how to respond (other than just turning around and walking out the door).
Old 06-07-2005, 07:13 PM
SPONSOR

No trouble started. My wife is working tonight, so I'm a bit bored and just spending entirely too much time on this forum. I know you weren't pointing any fingers. I just wanted to let you know, for future reference, that you could ask me, or anyone else to call and ask a dealer for their FFL. I can't blame them for being cautious.

BTW, I have your gun [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just waiting for the FFL!!!

B.J.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Bronze Member

Us first time internet buys need information ya know LOL

Lets hope snail mail gets a move on then because I am ready to lay my hands on it for sure[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Thanks guys for all the info