Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Shelf Life of Acraglas??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 04:39 AM
Silver Member

Shelf Life of Acraglas??

Was nosing through a gun shop yesterday afternoon and found a box of Acraglas that said "Free"...so I grabbed it. I'd probably take a big bag of poo if it said free!!

The release agent is hard as a rock but the other two (resin and hardner) look to be ok. The resin looks like a gel and the hardner is pretty thick...much more than the resin. The kit is new...still has the floc and die packet. I've never used glas but have worked with steel bed quite a bit for little stuff...never did a bedding job though.

Going to use this on the Ms. Frankenstein project...iffin ya'll think it's still any good? This will be my first action bedding job. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks.......Dan B.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

Re: Shelf Life of Acraglas??

I have used Accraglas that was several years old--YMMV!

Call Brownell's---they can tell you for sure, just ask for a tech guy. They have always been helpful to me.

Jim
Old 03-01-2007, 10:38 AM

I have used some that I had for over 20 years.The hardner was pretty thick but it worked. the resin was ok so I ordered some new from Brownels and the stuff still works, use lots of fiberglass to make it thick and not runny.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Silver Member

It might work, but I don't think I'd want to use something 'iffy' for my first try. In fact, I wouldn't want to use Acraglas at all (at least the liquid, I've no experience with the gel). I got the Brownells kit for my first job, and it didn't come out great and was tough to work with. Main complaint was it was too runny, but I didn't have any fiberglass to mix in like old bear suggested. Vastly prefer Devcon Steel Bed (#10110), which I've used since.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Dan , I'll give you a little bit of advise , "go with what you know"

I bedded my new 260 into one of Joel Russo's stock with Devcon plastic steel and now I have to grind it out as the material got to hard , I generaly use Steel Bed or the acca-glass gel packs but tried this stuff this time and now I gotta fix it and do it over.
I might try it with some small projects but I think I'd go with a new kit. The Acca-glas Gel kit from Brownells are very easy to use , I woulod recomend them to anybody trying to do a "first time" bedding job