Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

SEALs vs Pirates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

SEALs vs Pirates

Vice Adm. Bill Gortney said Phillips, 53, was tied up and in "imminent danger" of being killed because a pirate on the lifeboat held an AK-47 assault rifle to the back of his head.
In an interview with NBC's TODAY show, Gortney said it took only three shots to kill the three pirates.
Interviewed Monday from Bahrain, Gortney said the take-down happened shortly after the hostage-takers were observed by sailors aboard the USS Bainbridge "with their heads and shoulders exposed."
Gortney described the snipers as "extremely, extremely well-trained." He said the firing by the snipers was ordered by the captain of the Bainbridge after the pirates "exposed themselves" to attack.
Video

Inside the rescue
April 13: TODAY’s Meredith Vieira talks to Vice Admiral Bill Gortney, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, about the rescue.
Today show

U.S. Defense officials said snipers got the go-ahead to fire after one pirate held an AK-47 close to Phillips’ back. Two other pirates popped their heads up out of the lifeboat, giving snipers three clear targets from the Bainbridge, one official said.
Military officials Monday described the snipers' operation as remarkable — firing at a small lifeboat 25 yards away at night and from the stern of a ship on rolling waters.
The SEALS arrived on the scene by parachuting from their aircraft into the sea, and were picked up by the Bainbridge, a senior U.S. official said.
A fourth pirate surrendered after boarding the Bainbridge earlier in the day and could face life in a U.S. prison. He had been seeking medical attention for a wound to his hand and was negotiating with U.S. officials on conditions for Phillips' release, military officials said.
-Article from MSNBC

Maybe becaue I am squid that has worked with SEALs before or because I like precision shooting so much but either way after hearing and reading this story I could stand up for 10 minutes becasue of how indecent I would have looked. Freaking awesome story! I cant believe this forum hasn't been blowing up this sort of thing.
Anyways this is better than the movies!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: SEALs vs Pirates

Damn good job shooting under pressure and on rolling seas. I keep hearing different versions of the shot, from 100ft to 300 yards, I guess you cant expect the news to get it right.

I heard someone on Fox today speaking in total amazement that the snipers involved actually had to account for wind because it can apparently blow a bullet of course....who knew?

Proud that this country stood up for something and did things right. And that our men in uniform were, as always, up to the task.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

The Seals said "Got It"

And Barack said "SEND IT"

And I say "Amen"

Last edited by MN Hunter; 04-14-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Hunter View Post
The Seals said "Got It"

And Barack said "SEND IT"

And I say "Amen"
My understanding was that the Captain actually made the call? Or are you talking about getting the Seals deployed in the first place?

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Gold Member

Its my understanding that barack gave the ok to shoot if necessary. I was just trying to find something positive with the man.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Hunter View Post
Its my understanding that barack gave the ok to shoot if necessary. I was just trying to find something positive with the man.

Understood, you should be commended, as you are MUCH more generous than I am.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 04-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Not much wind to contend with @ 25-30 yards. What surprises me is the irresponsible way in which we provide all the details to the public. Even the pirates won't make that mistake again, thus, making the next rescue even more difficult.

Why not just say that the Captain was recover and 3 pirates were killed in process with a 4th in custody. End of story. The media makes the bad guys smarter with every story.

All those forensics shows are just making domestic murders smarter too. If we didn't advertise how all these crimes were solved we'd be a lot better off.

I like hearing the details but the down side of this openness should be obvious.