Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Scope Adjustment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: Scope Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
you mean sezro the 140's and use your trajectory card for the 168's and just take off .5MOA when you use the 140's? It'll get you somewhat close Why not just make a dope card for the 140 on say JBM ballistics, it's not hard by any means and you would be on with no guess work at all, be cheaper and a lot more precise as well.

JBM - Calculations - Trajectory μCard

Click on the link correct the values that aren't true for you, hit calculate, copy it to a word document and print it out, oh and bookmark the link too.

I entered 0.5moa high zero also that way you can just print your card and take it to the range and verify it with no other adjustment.
Joe,
Did same thing only I used G7ballistic calculater. I was using ballistics for the 140's not the 168's, on two seperate cards. Thanks

Rick
Old 10-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
Joe,
Did same thing only I used G7ballistic calculater. I was using ballistics for the 140's not the 168's, on two seperate cards. Thanks

Rick
that is a G7, If you click on the arrow where the bullet is listed it will scroll down a list of bullets and the 168gr vld will be just a few down
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

The NF exbal program has a spot to input your poi at a distance and it will give you the corrected zero distance and the newly corrected drops and dopes based on that zero. That is the correct way to do it when using exbal.
Just subtracting 1/2 MOA from your previously established dopes does not always work, because dopes are based off a specific zero distance.

It's under "Options" then "match sight in point". Input the distance, input the positive (or negative) measured poi at that distance and hit "Calculate". Hit "OK" (pop up will close) and hit "Calculate" again............new true zero distance will calculate and new drops and dopes will appear.

Muzzle velocity still needs to be known, as does sight height.

Hope this answers the question. Good Luck.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
The NF exbal program has a spot to input your poi at a distance and it will give you the corrected zero distance and the newly corrected drops and dopes based on that zero. That is the correct way to do it when using exbal.
Just subtracting 1/2 MOA from your previously established dopes does not always work, because dopes are based off a specific zero distance.

It's under "Options" then "match sight in point". Input the distance, input the positive (or negative) measured poi at that distance and hit "Calculate". Hit "OK" (pop up will close) and hit "Calculate" again............new true zero distance will calculate and new drops and dopes will appear.

Muzzle velocity still needs to be known, as does sight height.

Hope this answers the question. Good Luck.
Bruce,
Thanks I could not find that on my xbal, I think everyone has the misconception I was trying to use previous 168 dopes for the 140's, I was not.What I was trying to get at is I could shoot the 168's they would hit dead on, I then shot the 140's and they were 1/2" high I was still going to use 140 dope info. But I couldn't find poa correction in the xbal program since you get no kind of info with it on how to use it, you just have to search around and try to figure it out. The info you gave me was exactly what I needed. Thank you! Yes I was using MV and sight height just couldn't find poa correction.

Rick
Old 10-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Gold Member

Glad you got there. We sure took the long route.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
Glad you got there. We sure took the long route.
Amen brother,