Thank you,>>>> I did a google search and found savage shooters= sharp shooters supply and alot of info.
My first search was someone trying to sell the sharp shooters supply site name.
I did a bit of reading and it did look do-able> now you've convinced me it is !
Some real nice looking stuff over there by the way ! << stocks ,barrels and such.Thanks again .Mike
AIPAC for president !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just to give you an idea of the difficulty factor, I will walk you through the steps of the reinstall.
I use cases that are FL sized in MY dies. Custom fit without even trying. here we go, just be sure to read each step carefully and completely....
1) partially screw barrel into action.
2) chamber sized case and close bolt.
3) turn barrel until it hits the case.
4) Tighten nut to spec. Use the proper wrench. MidwayUSA,Brownells, ebay sells them.
5) chamber and extract case a few times just to be sure you didn't turn barrel in too far. If so, loosen nut and back off barrel. You want to feel that bolt just go firm before fully closed...zero headspace.
6) go make some noise.
yeah, it's that tough.
if you don't like the idea of zero headspace, just follow the instructions and turn barrel back about 1/8 to 1/4 rotation. Voila, about 3 thou clearance so there will be zippo issue for say hunting. Again, chamber and extract a few sized cases to ensure smooth cycling.
I've done 3 and JT has pretty much laid it out it's not brain surgery but you still want to be cautious. What I do differently is I cut a .002 feeler gauge to fit in the bolt face. I don't want it to close with it in place but close without it. Just an additional tip. Go for it! Good luck and keep us posted.