Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Savage Long Range Hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 02:13 PM

Re: Savage Long Range Hunter

Greyfox......can you get three in the magazine and does your magazine box rattle around inside the stock? Just wondering. thanks,
Old 10-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteugly View Post
Greyfox......can you get three in the magazine and does your magazine box rattle around inside the stock? Just wondering. thanks,
No problems with 3 rounds in the mag. No rattles. Have you checked the seating of the box and spring? Also check stock and barrel contact. I had to open mine up in spots.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-07-2011, 02:55 PM

I noticed my barrel was tight, not floating but thought I would shoot it first to see where I might be at. I couldn't get a piece of paper between barrel and stock. Salesman said because they are pillar bedded that it should be touching in the front of the stock....not sure I agree. I'll pull the gun apart and try and see what the story is on the magazine box too but I struggled last night and could only get 2 rounds in the magazine assuming I should be able to put three in the magazine and one in the chamber. Hope I'm not trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and embarrass myself here.
Going to go with a Huskemaw 5-20 x50, Ken Ferrel one piece 20 MOA base and Burris Extreme Rings. Thank you for the load suggestions...sounds pretty close to the load I've settled on for the Model 12 LRPV right bolt, left port single I have. I may be calling upon you again.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteugly View Post
I noticed my barrel was tight, not floating but thought I would shoot it first to see where I might be at. I couldn't get a piece of paper between barrel and stock. Salesman said because they are pillar bedded that it should be touching in the front of the stock....not sure I agree. I'll pull the gun apart and try and see what the story is on the magazine box too but I struggled last night and could only get 2 rounds in the magazine assuming I should be able to put three in the magazine and one in the chamber. Hope I'm not trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and embarrass myself here.
Going to go with a Huskemaw 5-20 x50, Ken Ferrel one piece 20 MOA base and Burris Extreme Rings. Thank you for the load suggestions...sounds pretty close to the load I've settled on for the Model 12 LRPV right bolt, left port single I have. I may be calling upon you again.
I would ddinitely float it. It does touch at the tip and the impact changes when the barrel is heated. I only load three and it feeds well. I have a Huskemaw on mine, as well as a Cooper and really like the scope!!!!! Good luck.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt