Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Sako TRG-S Stock Fit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 10:11 AM

Sako TRG-S Stock Fit?

Can someone comment on the TRG-S stock?

I've found a TRG-S at a reasonable price, but as I don't live in the seller's state, I can't handle it to determine how well the stock fits.

I'm small, 5-feet 6-inches, 160 pounds, and have small hands. (No, I don't get many spontaneous offers for hot dates).

It's hard to determine if the stock is well designed. Is it nimble, or more like a benchrest affair with beavertail forend? For that matter is it like a canoe paddle or a hod of bricks?

The caliber is .338 Lapua. Does it distribute recoil well or does it accentuate the impulse?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:18 AM
Silver Member

Re: Sako TRG-S Stock Fit?

I've got a 300 WM built on a TRG-S action in the standard stock.

The stock is a sporter style, slim fore-end, comfortable and fairly slim grip. LOP on mine is almost 14" if I recall, but mine has a few spacers installed. I figure its around 13.75" "as it comes". I like a "longish stock" and I ordered the replacement at 14.25".

I'm 6'1" tall and the stock fits pretty well. I could do with a higher comb though, but I tend to find all standard sporters are like that for me.

If you look on McM's website you'll see that they have a std. TRG-S pattern - that's pretty much how it looks. A few weeks back they also had a special on one of those stocks quite a bit cheaper than you would pay if you ordered it.

Mail me at wiml@webmail.co.za and I'll send you a photograph of mine in the factory stock alongside a Rem 700 BDL.

I find the stock on the TRG-S is very flexible. The forend can be pushed against the barrel with 2 fingers and off a bipod the weight of my (#5 contour 26") barrel starts to close up the free float close to the receiver. It shoots totally different and way better for me rested on a varmint bag under the receiver.

I've already received a new stock which I haven't yet fitted. If you buy a new stock you need to order bottom metal as the factory stock has it molded in.

In short - I think it's a pretty nice sporter style stock, but way too flexible. I'm not sure how the big stuff shoots out of those std. stocks.

Wim
Old 08-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Sako TRG-S Stock Fit?

The one I have has 13.75" pull and seems to fit ok. I am about 5' 9" and average build. I agree with the everything else on the first response. Good Luck.