Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Sako M995 Stock Build W/Bottom Metal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Sako M995 Stock Build W/Bottom Metal

Had a guy contact me to build a stock for his Sako M995, think his name was Norm.

I finally found replacement bottom metal, but I deleted his contact info.

If you're the guy, get in touch with me......

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: Sako M995 Stock Build W/Bottom Metal

Im not Norm but ive been looking for some bottom metal for a M995 as well. Any chance you could pm me the info on supplier. Thank you
Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

There really is no supplier, and no real supply. By that I mean, the bottom metal was re-produced by a company many years ago, then stopped production. There were a few pieces floating around. Through the years, I have made some really good business contacts. One of those contacts bought the last few pieces, and also makes stocks. He graciously offered one piece to me for this stock build.
The M995 stocks are prone to cracking near the tang, and most owners look for replacement stocks after this happens. Unfortunately, the original stocks had a "molded in" bottom metal that prohibited making a replacement stock unless you could source the replacement bottom metal.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Gold Member

Yes sir. Since ive purchased one ive read quite a bit on them. I was actually going to contact you about a stock. Is there anything I can do now to reinforce the stock?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I've had more than a few calls regarding these stocks... I have an M995 in .30-.378 Wby, and never knew my stock was cracked until a few months ago. Seems like it's the norm for these things. The problem with stockmakers, is that nobody makes the replacement bottom metal since these are no longer produced. I toyed with writing the CNC program, and making the bottom metal myself. The guy I'm looking for with this thread, told me that he may be able to get a bunch of builds together, which would defray the cost of the programing...
Depending on how your stock is cracked, it may be a good candidate for repair. I think I may repair mine.
PM me your phone number if you want me to call and discuss it with you.