Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Which safe to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

Re: Which safe to buy

Kbb468,

Two things....

First, set a cutting torch next to the safe.

Second, put a note on the door; "Caution, 2lbs of black powder are packed around the lock and hinges of this safe. Cut open at your own risk, owner not responsible for dismemberment or death"

Only you will know if it is really there!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Funny thing you mentioned it. I have asticker on my safe that simply reads "Caution: Black powder inside."

Maybe I do. Maybe I don't. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, I agree. Very interesting information. I'm just wondering about a torch entry, or explosives, to get into a "gun" safe? Seems like it would mess up the valuables?

Another thing I didn't think of is ruined papers, that's a good idea to place them in a microwave pouch. I have some bonds in there, too. I never thought they might incinerate, or be otherwise ruined? Actually, my wife uses the safe more than I do, on a daily basis. She's always in there for jewelry, but she only gets one shelf.

Good hunting. LB
Old 01-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Yep if you had some collectable guns that were worth a ton a TL30x6 would probably be plenty even if everyone in town knew that you collected them. This should be the minimum safe for a jewelery store. They make small ones that have this rating and they should always be bolted to the floor.

Another thing to consider is a decoy safe for the jewelery. This might be the gunsafe you already have with your guns and a few jewels in it and then have another well hidden safe with the majority of the most valuable jewels in it. That way if you or your spouse is ever threatened with harm if you don't open the safe you can satisfy the crook and not loose thousands of dollars worth of untracable stones and gold.

Or do what I do and just don't buy any jewelery. I love being married to a woman that would rather have a new shotgun than a new ring. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2006, 10:18 PM

My recomendation is to have a look at Fort Knox safes from Orem Ut.I have sold several brands while working in a local sporting goods store and forun that they have the best construction and are very resistant to forced entry and have very good fire protection with a good warrenty.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all of the helpful information. I never knew that selecting a safe would be a valuable leaning lesson. I like what 4ked horn said about a combination lock giving a warning rather than just not working with any signs of problems and also having the lock set to 1 no. for faster access. I am under the constraints of a budget of $600.00 and so I have to make my selection very careful. The selection should be able to accommodate 10-12 firearms and have storage selves also. Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Gold Member

this is a great post! I've been looking for a safe for a while, and this info is great.
I've been looking at the fort knox also, they seem pretty sweet, but everytime i have 1K to spend how I want I always seem to end up with another gun [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] good, but bad.

4ked horn what do you think about fort knox safes? what would you reccomend for a good safe around $800-1200?
thanks,