Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Safari Club International expo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Safari Club International expo

Did anyone here attend the show this year? I just got back from it and wondered if anyone else was as blown away by it as me.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Platinum Member

A new friend attended the SCI show, he's a worldwide hunter, he said it was really impressive. He was also blown away by it and recommened it to me but I am not in that salary bracket yet.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip-co View Post
A new friend attended the SCI show, he's a worldwide hunter, he said it was really impressive. He was also blown away by it and recommened it to me but I am not in that salary bracket yet.
Yes. I thought that there weren't that many hunters in that salary bracket until I went to the show. Now I know there is. I must have rubbed elbows with a couple hundred millionaires in two days time. And all of them were buying multiple safaris and domestic hunts.

But what really shocked me is how much smoke was being blown around by some of the retailers there. ANd most of the "smart" millionaire shoppers were sucking it down as fast as they could. No research, no cares, no homework, just sell me that glorified remington 700 for $6000 and I'll be happy to brag to my friends how much I spent on a "custom" rifle!!

I played dumb of course and let them rattle off their sales pitch to me. I literally had to duck and run so as I didn't laugh directly in their faces! I even had one guy try and tell me his "super dooper" fragmenting proprietary bullets only drift one half MOA at 600 yards in a 25 mph crosswind!!!!!!! Next thing I know, someone from Germany is ordering several thousand to try and I was choking on my tongue.

I have been to lots of hunting industry shows but this one takes the cake. It even had more money walking around than the World FNAWS banquet. Those guys have heaps of the green but nothing like the international hunters found at the SCI.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.