Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Ruger No. 1 for a Long Range Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Bronze Member

Ruger No. 1 for a Long Range Rifle

Normally, I would go with a Remington 700, but the idea of a Ruger No. 1 as a long range rifle intrigues me. Does anyone have any data on previous attempts or literature that I can research? Since I am not a gunsmith I am not aware of the technical issues; so, be easy on me, please. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ruger No. 1 for a Long Range Rifle

Here is a previous discussion on the No. 1, hope it helps. Ruger # 1
Chris
Old 02-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply. And, next time I will do a search on the forum before asking an old question. Again, thanks.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

My 2 cents. In 1979 I rebarreled a NIB #1 with a Shilen 26" heavy barrel in 7mm Wby. Reworked rear stock to provide higher comb and longer pull to fit my body dimensions. Put Redfield 6X18 scope and aftermarket target turrets on it. After a lot of work ( and I do mean a lot) to cure vertical stringing and get the right powder, primer, seating depth it would shoot. The maximum range I could squeeze out of the Redfield vertical adjustment was 1200 yards and it would and will shoot five round 8" groups at that range. The gun is sensitive to what and how you rest the fore end on when shooting and does not like a really clean barrel but shoots best after a couple of rounds (this is a pain when going hunting because it means you have to fire it a couple of times before you start the hunt. I may put one of those new devices in the fore end.

The whole affair was a lot of fun and I learned a lot and I really like the #1: however, when this barrel is shot out and that time is near, I will rebarrel it in something like 220 swift and then build a new long range gun on a custom single shot bolt action in 30-378.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Way to go guys! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Rain on the ol' parade [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Just kiddin [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I say this just as a #1 in 375 is in the mail. Got it for the action and wood with tho'ts of replacing the bbl and going long range with it.

I have always been attracted to the #1. Periodically I've cycled through several. Went to accurizing and working up loads and finally traded 'em off as I was spending too much time for not much reward. I could usually get them to pretty fair accuracy off the bench. But out in the field some bullets went into some unexpected places. I never lost game because of it but ruined some good eatin. Depending whether I was offhand or prown, or using a tree for a rest It strung 'em up and down in a major way. The larger the cal. the larger the string.

Don't know if I'll proceed with this project or just do it with the REM 700 that is justa a waiting.

Thanks for for you postings. But, jeez what if I'm one of the lucky ones. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2005, 08:17 PM

I'm on my second bbl on my #1.I found out that by freefloating the forend completely and putting a .060 shim between the spring hanger and the bbl,it stopped my stringing problems and consistently averages .50 -.75 in groups for 3 shots.This is a 338 ultra mag. Hopes this helps.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Explain a little more about the shim. What is it made of and what size ? I just reworked the fore end for about the tenth time and was thinking about spending $60 for the Hicks Accurizer.