Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Ruger Black Hawk .357 ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Ruger Black Hawk .357 ???

A friend of mine bought a Ruger Revolver .357 Black Hawk pistol it also came with a 9MM Cylinder . He doesnt like it because you have to cock it and shoot every time you want it to fire . He thought it would fire each time by simply pullin the trigger. Is their any way he can fix this ? Maybe he isnt doing something right ?

He said he would also like to know what its worth ? It looks brand new .

Thanks for looking.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Ruger Black Hawk .357 ???

It's probably a single action revolver. Check the trigger if it sets toward the rear of the trigger guard it is a single action. If the trigger is more centered in the guard it's probably a double action. Single action has to be cocked manually double action does not.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Your buddyhas Blackhawk convertable, it's a single action and retail is $679. No fix as it's already perfection unless you get it tuned up. The Redhawk is a double action.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Your buddyhas Blackhawk convertable, it's a single action and retail is $679. No fix as it's already perfection unless you get it tuned up. The Redhawk is a double action.

E zacty.....your freinds gun is workin how it supposed to. There sellin between 4 to 5 used.... However I wouldnt put that caliber at the top of the desireable list....jmho

The 2nd Amendment......America's original Homeland Security.

Ethan Parke........roped the deer in 1953. Put tags in his ears turned him loose then shot him in 1955. Always liked this pic
The story was told to me by his wife who owned the little motel we stayed at on a deer hunt in Malta Idaho about 17 years ago...... Youll never see that again. Just a cool pic of Idaho deer huntin history
Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys for all of the Info. He bought it used for $400 came with the box it looks like new. He didnt realize you had to cock it and shoot every time , he wanted it for home defense. Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Load up some 125gr hp, push em to max load. That load is a very good 1 shot fight stopper
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

Oh, you youngsters.... I love the single actions. I have a Ruger Super Black Hawk 44 mag. Maybe your friend should watch some old westerns and learn to "fan" the hammer. That is a lost art for sure.

Jeff