Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Round counts in Firearms for sale.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Bronze Member

Round counts in Firearms for sale.....

Has anyone else ever noticed that no one seems to shoot their rifles.....

Seems every rifle I look at in the classifieds are always, "I only put 10 rounds through her." or "Bought this as a secondhand back-up rifle, first owner only took it out of the safe on Thursday mornings during full moons and I put 7 rounds down the barrel to sight-in, but it shot a .020-inch 5-shot group at 400yards!"
You never see the ad that goes, "I shot the crap out it and haven't cleaned this barrel since it was installed by the factory.....there might not be any rifling actually left in the barrel, but I still think it's value is at least 12times what I paid for it."

This isn't limited to this forum, I see it at absolutely every forum that there is a classified section, so don't get ya'll feathers ruffled here....it's everywhere!

Scott
Old 12-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Round counts in Firearms for sale.....

Okay, that's good for a chuckle! Take it one step further and see how many sellers react to a borescope the way Dracula does to a cross.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Old 12-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Gold Member

Agreed but short of bore scoping at time of sale, most would not truely know the status of the barrel.

You can toast one quickly with not too many rounds if the chamber is not tight, the loads are really hot or if they string too many shots one after the other....

So when buying used I assume that the gun will be minute of deer and most are that I have picked up used.

If your buying a custom rig, I would only purchase used ones from those whom I have some level of trust in.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldon View Post
Agreed but short of bore scoping at time of sale, most would not truely know the status of the barrel.

You can toast one quickly with not too many rounds if the chamber is not tight, the loads are really hot or if they string too many shots one after the other....

So when buying used I assume that the gun will be minute of deer and most are that I have picked up used.

If your buying a custom rig, I would only purchase used ones from those whom I have some level of trust in.

Or maybe with an agreed upon inspection period?

Would have to say, most people could remember the difference between 20 rounds down the pipe and 4,000 though. And we are in total agreement with the hot loads, multiple fast firings, and a few other things that'll eat a barrel.

Anyone else notice this? Feel free to chime in!

Scott
Old 12-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

I've actually bought a couple take of barrels that just wouldn't shoot for next to no dollars. I take and clean them out to the metal, which usually takes some JB paste to cut the carbon and I find a perfectly good barrel that just needs cleaned, crowned and shot!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

most of the stuff for sale aint wore out, its hardly used. these guys build or buy these big fancy rifles then find they have no time or no money to shoot them or "it made an owie on my shoulder" and then they sell them barely used. same thing happens here in CO when the eastern and CA millionaires build these 25,000 sq ft log homes back in the wilderness then find out they have no time to use the places or dont care to have the 17 FEET of snow they get in the backcountry plowed out daily so the mansions sit empty for years...

NRA Life Member
Old 12-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've actually bought a couple take of barrels that just wouldn't shoot for next to no dollars. I take and clean them out to the metal, which usually takes some JB paste to cut the carbon and I find a perfectly good barrel that just needs cleaned, crowned and shot!
That has been my experience on occasion. Lot of people simply don't know much about guns and what makes them shoot well. Back in 1972 I bought a used custom varmint rifle and cleaned on it after work for two days and finally got it to where I could see the rifling in the throat. After that groups went under 0.5 MOA

My experience is that the round count is about what the guy says. Bought an XP100-R off a guy on this forum. Gun came from the factory with a problem that nobody had noticed and I found it and fixed it. Gun now groups under 1 MOA with 130 gr Berger VLDs and I used it to kill an antelope at 501 yards.